Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another year of Jimmy Carter not being dead.

Options
  • 01-10-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭

Today marks 86 years of Jimmy Carter coffin dodging.

Fair play to the men, despite being history's greatest monster and all that.
    He had some terrible luck in his presidency but did an admirable job

49307_602803183_7712_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Bit before my time. Was he worse than GWB?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

A fan of Jimmy Carter?

/looks 'round for Loch-ness monster and sober Irishman.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Malaise Forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Scooby Doo can doo doo but Jimmy Carter is smarter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Didn't he sell missiles to Iran? No wonder people hate him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

if you hate Jimmy Carter, you've got a hell of a lot wrong with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

fontanalis wrote: »

Aren't you thinking of his old enemy, Ronald Reagan, and the Iran-Contra affair?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Carter is (pea)nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Don't know much about the lad to be honest.

In what ways was he such a big bad man?
    A quick perusal of wikipedia didn't turn up much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

enda1 wrote: »

That's because he edits it. He wrote all of wikipedia just to paint himself in a good light.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

He was brilliant on the Daily Show a few weeks ago. Witty as ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

bonerm wrote: »
    Scooby Doo can doo doo but Jimmy Carter is smarter

He's gotta brother named Billy....and his teeth look silly.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

enda1 wrote: »

He wasn't bad at all.
    The Simpsons were taking the piss out of the strange hatred people have for a well meaning and competent ex-president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

WindSock wrote: »
    He's gotta brother named Billy....and his teeth look silly.....

Break it down now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

bonerm wrote: »
    Break it down now.

*spins around making weird vrooming noise*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭argonaut

AFAIK he was unpopular because he didn't have the ability to easily bull**** people with a huge grin like, say, Reagan did.

The whole "malaise" thing comes from a speech he gave in which he basically asked people to conserve energy during the 70s energy crisis. The horror!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

[insert faceplam here]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

While we're making random quotes:

"Jimmy Carter needs Billy like Van Gogh needs stereo." - Johnny Carson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭argonaut

Iran-Contra?

Damn that Carter! *shakes fist*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Does he not help to build houses for the poor?

A good rule to live by: If the freepers hate someone, then that person is really great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

mike65 wrote: »
    [insert faceplam here]

Facepalms on you.
    I was trying to point out the hypocricy of the Regan loving morons who hate Carter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I can't believe people are considering Carter to be competent! He was horrendous and indecisive and a push over.

The Iran hostage crisis was handled appallingly and his weakness in this occasion is somewhat responsible for giving Iran's regime strength and credibility in the eyes of their citizens. The US could have stopped the Iranian Revolution dead in its tracks but Carter pussyfooted around and was impotent.
    Thatcher went to war over an island which had just a few penguins, Carter decided to think that negotiation would secure the release of his citizens from a regime that was outspoken in their hatred for the US! Complete lunacy! He should have committed a few jets and glassed Tehran and spared Iran from the Ayatollah coming to power. The Soviets wouldn't have complained as although they disliked the Shah they were not in love with an Islamic regime either.

After about a year Carter decided to mount a rescue operation, a poorly put together rescue mission. He didn't authorise the manpower that the armed forces wanted to commit to the rescue and instead only allowed them use a bunch of out of date helicopter, half of which didn't even make it off the ground.
    Carters "retribution" was to supply the Iraqis with arms so that the US could get back at Iran through a proxy war with Iran. Reagan also supplied Iraq with arms but if he had been in power when Iran took the hostages I can guarantee you that there wouldn't be the Ayatollah in power now. Reagan had some balls at least and when Gadaffi got a bit big in his boots he sent bombed the crap out of his palaces and residences and made Gadaffi piss himself and be regarded as incompetent by the rest of the world.

Carter was not fit to be in control of the US armed forces and thank god the Soviets never decided to push against the US as he would have conceded in a heartbeat.

D-Generate wrote: »
    The Iran hostage crisis was handled appallingly and his weakness in this occasion is somewhat responsible for giving Iran's regime strength and credibility in the eyes of their citizens. The US could have stopped the Iranian Revolution dead in its tracks but Carter pussyfooted around and was impotent.

The CIA put the Shah in power in the first place in the 1953 coup of a democratically elected governemnt.

Thatcher went to war over an island which had just a few penguins,

and potentially massive oil and gas fields. don't for a minute buy into the jingoistic crap.
    Carter decided to think that negotiation would secure the release of his citizens from a regime that was outspoken in their hatred for the US!

negotiation did free them in the end, with the signing of the Algiers accord.

The CIA put the Shah in power in the first place in the 1953 coup of a democratically elected governemnt.
    The Shah wasn't a nice guy but he served Western needs and Iran would certainly be on friendlier terms with us in the West if the regime hadn't changed to the Ayatollahs. Heck, the Iranians although subjugated by the Shah are even worse off now.

and potentially massive oil and gas fields. don't for a minute buy into the jingoistic crap.
    I am not supportive of this war but I am using it to illustrate that the leader of a country should be decisive and is the one person that shouldn't be weak when confronted by a military threat.

negotiation did free them in the end, with the signing of the Algiers accord.
    Over a year later..... A freaking year.... That is hardly an acceptable time to allow citizens of your own country to be held and tortured and degraded. It is quite embarrassing that a freaking Quaker has more stones than Carter.

so America should have gone in guns blazing because the Iranians don't like the US for their propensity for going in guns blazing.

I'm not saying he handled it perfectly, but I'd take his outlook with regards to peaceful resolution over the gung ho might is right sledgehammer of normal US operations.

• Advertisement

so America should have gone in guns blazing because the Iranians don't like the US for their propensity for going in guns blazing.

I'm not saying he handled it perfectly, but I'd take his outlook with regards to peaceful resolution over the gung ho might is right sledgehammer of normal US operations.

Fair enough to be honest. I agree that the US can be gung ho at times, Bush administration in particular, but in this instance the US should have taken military action. Their sovereign territory was attacked! I would say that a lot of resentment towards the US in Iran today is caused by the view that the US abandoned Iran during the revolution and they would be right.
    Carter didn't step up to the plate as a commander should and now we have Iran as a threat to western interests.

Advertisement