Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CLASSY BARS DUBLIN

Options
  • 01-10-2010 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hey guys,

I have been living in Dublin for 4 years. I'm from South Africa and I have yet to find a nice classy bar in Dublin. I'm looking for a place that

a) doesn't get so packed you have to wait in queue to get a drink
    b) doesn't have the music so loud that you have to shout
    c) plays cool funky music and not the stuff you hear on the radio
    d) doesn't smell like a 100 years old
    e) and has an acceptable level of seating.

If anyone out there has found a spot please let me know before I lose all hope. I found the Pub with noname the other day and loved it (this was 5.30pm), I left to go for dinner then came back later because I thought it was so awesome but to my shock they put the music so loud that even though we were sitting at a table together, the four of us had to lean over the table to shout at eachother.

Help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Going to reiterate what I said in another thread here. Check out the Church. Can get a little packed on saturday nights but apart from that, it's perfect for you needs. Only thing it might be lacking in is the music department but that never bothers me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 scazi

Cool ill check out the church so! This is the one near Jervis Centre yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

Also worth trying The Grafton Lounge in the Hibernian Mall between Grafton St and Dawson St.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭RedXIV

scazi wrote: »

Yup. Have fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

The trouble with "classy" bars is that they tend to serve pissy drinks.....seriously there's no such thing as a decent pint in any of the classy bars I've been to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'd recommend both Against the Grain on Wexford Street and L. Mulligan Grocer in Stoneybatter. They're both new, so don't get utterly packed out. Both have low-key, tasteful music plus a superb range of beers and neither has a TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

Upstairs at 4 dame lane is usually pretty good whenever I've been there (and never heard 'poppy' music in there)

downstairs gets pretty busy though

http://www.4damelane.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Velocitee wrote: »
    Upstairs at 4 dame lane is usually pretty good whenever I've been there (and never heard 'poppy' music in there)

downstairs gets pretty busy though

http://www.4damelane.ie/

Sh*te place full of assh*les and in no way 'classy'.

Perhaps you should try the bar in the Shelbourne Hotel if you're looking for classy OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

scazi wrote: »

The Irish Club in Linden (only works if you know joburg!)

Im a fan of upstairs in Capitol, not too noisey and comfy seats!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A classy bar is a bit of an oxymoron in Dublin. The city centre has a dearth of good bars. One of the legacies of the Celtic Tiger is bars is a legion of lookalike bars that are only interesting in packing people. It's a pity.

Having said that, this thread has given me some new names, so I'll have to look into them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

how about the bar of the morgan hotel in temple bar, very nice place

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Ely Grand Canal Dock (Ely HQ) and Ely in the IFSC are both nice places where the music is not too intrusive. Not the cheapest places in Dublin though.

Advertisement