Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat radio only

Options
  • 01-10-2010 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I like to listen to Radio4 & BBC World Service in bed, but the LW signal is poor, I have a TV and a sat receiver in the bed room and can listen to sat radio stations. however I would like to listen and select sat radio stations without the TV turned on, is anything available to allow this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The Sky Gnome would have done the trick.

http://www1.sky.com/skygnome/

No longer available, but you might find one on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭velosolex

Hello, checked the "Sky Gnome" on Google, not suitable for me as I do not have a "Sky Box" but use a FTA box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

I use an FM transmitter (like the ones used with MP3 players - €5 on ebay) which is connected to the phono out from the back of the sat receiver.

6211761_sb.jpg

The FM transmitters usually have a 3.5mm jack, so you can get phono->3.5mm socket lead to connect everything up.
    http://www.blueunplugged.com/p.aspx?p=122179
    3.5M-2PHONO-MED.jpg

For remote control, you can use something like this Maximum kit.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055246811

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

Never thought of that :eek:

using the laptop in the garden to listen to cricket when the radio would have done..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I use €8 Hietons FM transmitter with old 5V nokia power wart.

(They are not so hot on battery as the chip needs 2.75V, OK on internal regulator from 5V jack socket, but it only takes a single 1.5V cell).

I have two. One on a motorised FTA receiver and one on Attic server with Web page controlling WinAmp. (a phone or archos or any PC lets you make a big playlist).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Could you post a picture Watty? That sounds like rather a nice piece of kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I will later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

and as if by magic ........ it was gone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

John mac wrote: »
    Never thought of that :eek:

using the laptop in the garden to listen to cricket when the radio would have done..

I do the same mate, a laptop is as good as any for radio, when its not IP blocked that is, luckily the cricket isn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭velosolex

Thanks for the ideas, the FM modulator seems the best solution yet!

• Advertisement
Advertisement