Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little bird seems stunned what to do?

Options
  • 01-10-2010 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭

small bird found on the terrace this morning by cleaner she brought it inside and gave it to me. It seems to be very quiet and docile, it's plumage and eyes are in good condition. I placed it in a small paper shopping bag in the press, with a full opening at the top.
    I closed the press so it is dark and quiet.

What should I do next?
    It looks like a flycatcher type bird - could it be exhausted from flying / migrating? I'm here in Rabat, north morocco. I'll try to attach a pic, didn't want to take many (one handed) photo's and disturb it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭donal7

Happened recently to me with a Goldfinch flying into the kitchen window. Picked it up put it in a cardboard box with an opening for some air and left it be for a half hour or so. When I came back to check on it, it had obviously escaped through the holes in the side on the box :)

Hopefully it will survive for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I dropped a big fly in, and placed a large cap of water too. Will check and see how things are prgressing when it quietens down here. It's probably too dark to feed but will move the whole ensemble when it's quiet to a brighter area. Left it in the dark till then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I think depends on weather it is exhaustion or a window collision.

When you say "press" is this a hot press or just a cupboard. If a hot press I'd be concerned about it being too hot and bird dehydrating.

For a window casualty and I get a few a year.
    I bring it inside, place it under a domed fly screen I have. Put a cloth over it to darken it. When the stunned bird comes to its senses I hear it hopping around and I open the window adjacent to where it is trapped, I lift up dome cover and bird flies out the window.

If it is exhaustion, a rest may not be enough and others may be able to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

100% recovery folks!
    I closed up the bag, brought it outside and slowly opened it. He/she flew away shortly after. Curious as to what it was, it had a stronger beak than a lark, but nothing like a nutty finch instrument. It was black and slightly curved. It might have seen itself on the sliding door, or maybe flew into it.
    I thought he was a migrant as I haven't really seen him around before...

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Well done - we get several birds a year back in the air using these methods of keeping warm until the shock wears off, and keeping up the body temperature. If they don't have broken wings or heads/necks, they very often recover and fly off.
    It never fails to make our day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

100% recovery folks!
    I closed up the bag, brought it outside and slowly opened it. He/she flew away shortly after. Curious as to what it was, it had a stronger beak than a lark, but nothing like a nutty finch instrument. It was black and slightly curved. It might have seen itself on the sliding door, or maybe flew into it.
    I thought he was a migrant as I haven't really seen him around before...
    Looks like female-type pied flycatcher
    Nice work Tea drinker!!

Advertisement