Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attic insulation

Options
  • 01-10-2010 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

For may attic I have 6 inch(150mm) ceiling joists, I was thinking of putting down 150mm fibreglass between the joists and another 150mm crossed over this. Also for some access for storage I was thinking of putting the 150mm fibreglass between the joist and the Loft-walk insulated board screwed into the joist on top of that so the i can achieve a similar u-value.

Can anyone recommend a type of fibreglass that would be best suited, already I've looked at the Knauf loft roll, Rockwool and Metac.

Or if anyone here could recommend another method of insulating the attic?

And I've heard of some people putting 38mm insulated plaster board on the ceiling, is this recommended or a bad idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

homer1982 wrote: »
    For may attic I have 6 inch(150mm) ceiling joists, I was thinking of putting down 150mm fibreglass between the joists and another 150mm crossed over this. Also for some access for storage I was thinking of putting the 150mm fibreglass between the joist and the Loft-walk insulated board screwed into the joist on top of that so the i can achieve a similar u-value.

Can anyone recommend a type of fibreglass that would be best suited, already I've looked at the Knauf loft roll, Rockwool and Metac.

Or if anyone here could recommend another method of insulating the attic?

And I've heard of some people putting 38mm insulated plaster board on the ceiling, is this recommended or a bad idea?

When it comes to deciding , costs uvalues etc, look at how much square metres each roll covers, they all differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

homer1982 wrote: »
    IMO you'd be better off putting foilbacked insulation between you rafters, maintain 50mm air gap between insulation board & felt.

Fibreglass 150mm + 150mm laid perpendicular is fine in attic, if laid horizontally. Wear mask, gloves etc. As above check u-values so you are comparing like with like.

Note that a roll 100mm fibreglass could cost the same as 150mm roll of fibreglass - the amount of fibreglass is the same except the 100mm is thinner but longer, so check SQM area.(Hope this makes sense!)

Advertisement