Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

engineering equivalent of MBA

Options
  • 01-10-2010 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

hi all,

was down the pub with a few mates and the conversation of further education came up

one mate is starting an MBA at the minute, what is the equivalent of an MBA for engineers, the only thing that I could think of was a PhD in a design orientated topic

MBAs are all about figuring out strategies for sales etc.

is there any equivalent for engineers etc....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I don't think there is as such, but having said that a lot of engineers do MBAs. Obviously they're business based, but they aren't confined to business people. A family member (who's an engineer) did one, and the people he met on the course were from all walks...one who had a degree in Chemistry, couple of business people, couple of engineers, and someone with an Ag science degree.It's a very open (and difficult) qualification to get, but it's by no means confined to those who have business qualifications only. There are a lot of Masters courses out there aimed at those who have science/engineering/maths based degrees, but are called titles that are business related, eg financial maths in DCU, business analytics UCD, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

This would probably be the closest thing to what your looking for in the country. http://www.ucd.ie/mem/ After you finish it you can transfer to the UCD MBA programme and complete it in 1 year part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭who_am_I?

I know a guy who did this
    http://www.aua.ie/content.asp?ID=2

Now heads up R&D in a multinational.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

In the US they do a Masters in Engineering management as a equivalent for Engineers.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineering_management

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Dubstar07

OP does MBA not mean Masters in Business Administration???

If so, then Masters (MSc) in engineering (or other discipline) is your 'equivalent'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Dubstar07 wrote: »
    OP does MBA not mean Masters in Business Administration???

If so, then Masters (MSc) in engineering (or other discipline) is your 'equivalent'

Not really because the MBA requires some (like 5 years) experience in the workplace. MSc requires no such thing.

MBA is a stepping stone to management/executive levels, I don't think people do an MSc with the same intention and expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

MBA is a stepping stone to management/executive levels

that would explain a lot. Having meet several MBAs I have not been impressed with their skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭who_am_I?

amen wrote: »
    that would explain a lot. Having meet several MBAs I have not been impressed with their skills.

Several years ago I did a BBS(hons) part time, It took a while for my logical Brain to think like a businessman, I found that when I left logic and reason behind and lied through my teeth I got the highest marks in exams......

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

Is there not an M.E. qualification that requires work experience also?

• Advertisement
Advertisement