Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laney VC30 112

Options
  • 01-10-2010 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Hello all. I'm sure you get threads like this all the time, but oh well.

I'm looking for a new amp for band practice and gigs and after much whittling-down of options I think the Laney VC30 112 might be the one.

I play a Danelectro 12-string (for clean, chiming stuff) and a Fender Cyclone II (for tasteful crunch, some Big Star jangle etc.). Not being able to achieve metal brutality is not of much concern to me. :pac:

Anyway, I mainly want to know:
    (i) Does this amp have enough headroom for me to be able to play clean over bass and drums at practice? We're a relatively mild jangly pop band, but a drum kit can still be loud. I use a compression pedal — would this boost clean volume?

(ii) Does any shop in Dublin stock these? Judging by what I can find out online, the answer is no, but I'd really rather not buy an amp online without trying it out first.

I eagerly await advice. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kingofpain

Hi, I'm on the same mission these days and have been looking for Laney as well. Xmusic have a 399€ LC15 atm. Haven't checked Music Maker, Waltons or the others around there but have never seen a Laney in there. No national distributors listed at laney.co.uk.

A 30w 12" amp should have plenty of headroom for any setup but have no personal exp. though. A rock guitarist might worry the other way around, since break up sweet spot may be too loud to get to, even with a full band around you.

Judging from various good sources, the CUB10, CUB12 or VC15 should be my kind of thing, still not sure I dare ordering an amp form over seas only based on decent rep. and appealing Youtube demos - and would def. prefer to shop locally or used if psb. at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Thanks, I hope you're right about the headroom.

Good luck with your search!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I've a 40w valve amp and it's been perfect for rehearsal and live work with a rock band - plenty of headroom. You should have no issues with a 30w class A amp.

Go for it.

:)

Is there much of a difference between the 112 and the 212? The 112 is smaller, I presume, and thus more ideal for me, but there's a 212 going at pretty cheap price on adverts.

in person, the 212 will sound slightly "better" at it moves more air, but it's not massive and not worth the extra hassle of the carting around the extra weight.
    Live, odds are it'll be miked by the sound engineer and the crowd'll only hear one speaker anyway.

Do you use any important stereo effects, does the 212 run in stereo? That may affect your decision slightly.

• Advertisement

I just use a compressor and occasionally some light chorus, so I wouldn't have use for stereo.
    Would it be a decent idea to try out your man's 212 before I go ahead and get a 112 (i.e. is the tone and headroom pretty much the same)?

Headroom would be virtually the same, tone would be similar at lower volumes and would be slightly different when it's really moving some air (how different will depend on your ears).

Personally, I'd go for the 112 if they were both brand new, but if you can find a 212 for a good deal you'd be mad not to take it.

It's going for €350. It is a bit larger and a few kilogrammes heavier, but the price is enticing. I'll give it a think. Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it.

Advertisement