Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laundry chutes & openings in floorslabs

Options
  • 30-09-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm due to have my 1st floor floorslabs laid in the next two weeks or so and trying to work out where I need to leave openings e.g. for mech & elec services, laundry chute, mech ventilation heat recovery etc.

Can anyone advise/recommend a suitably sized openings to be left in a precast prestressed hollow core slab for a laundry chute? From reading other posts, I note that there appear to be different sizes and that some people fabricate their own chute and others purchase purpose built chutes. Any thoughts on the laundry chute or other ideas welcome?? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

well if you are purchasing a pre-fab chute, then you'll have to refer to product spec.
    If you are building insitu, then pick a size.

I'd personall, go with around 500 ope

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Ours is approx 500mm x 500mm. Dropping into a long kitchen unit that is 600mm. Will be made with MDF covered in waterproof type finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

It would be wise to discuss size & position of opes with Pre-cast Floorslab Manufacturer, your Structural Engineer & your Certifier.
    You will need to know the position of the joints in the slabs.

Laundry shoots can be good but all the dirty clothes are mixed so sometimes you have to empty the shoot out on the floor to grade washing - colours, whites, bed linen etc. This can be a bit of work if the shoot has a weeks washing waiting inside.

Seek sizes, positions and specs from manufacturers for Mechanical vents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭awnow

Does anyone have a detail for how the chute is incorporated on the upper (1st) floor? For example, the chute will be in my main bathroom and the laundry/utility room is below but i am looking to position the opening so that i can disguise it on the 1st floor i.e. partially incorporate it into a wall, box it out, incorporate into a vanity unit or the likes. The ground floor will work out ok as I can drop the chute into a tall unit/cupboard as suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭moan 77

you could cut the bottom of a real laundry basket and place over the chute :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I've designed then into work tops and VU's. If you want to disguise it, the top of the chute can look like a drawer front that's hinged on the bottom to accordian out and back closed when not being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭awnow

Thanks to all, very helpful :)

Advertisement