Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

excel help

Options
  • 30-09-2010 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭

i have gone into year three in a manufacturing engineering honours degree course and have been thrown in the deep end as far as using microsoft excel is concerned , can anyone recommend a good book for getting me up to speed using excel for engineering applications ?
    i have a copy of a book from the library called "excel scientific and engineering cookbook" problem is it covers excel 2003 and i have to use 2007/10 .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

GOOGLE EXCEL 2010 FORMULAS and there is a good book and CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 coffeenut

alex73 wrote: »
    GOOGLE EXCEL 2010 FORMULAS and there is a good book and CD.

google is my BFF for excel and VBA :D type in what you want to do and google will give you a ton of forums where somebody else has asked the same Q before

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I would also recommend just playing around with Excel to be sure you have a solid grasp of the basic features. I've seen people trying to get stuff done with Excel who don't know how to lock references with $ signs, for example, or don't know what Named Ranges do, or how to draw trend lines on charts. It's a very powerful and flexible tool if you know how to use it.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Also, the MS support forums, while a nightmare to actually find, are seriously handy when working with excel

heres a link

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/default.aspx#tab=4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

thanks for the help , i visited the big book sellers in dublin cc this morning , and none of them had anything worth bothering with , easons , waterstones and the top floor in hodges figgis, thought the assistant was very helpful in the last one , anything in the libraries is out of date (2003).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Rowa, remember me?

I use Excel all the time at work. Perhaps I can help. Everything that I know about Excel I learnt from being shown, I find it hard to learn from a book (perhaps you are different?). If you want to drop in to me I will help you. I lost you number! PM it to me or ring me.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭who_am_I?

From an excel formula perspective Excel 2003 is 99% similar to Excel 2007, only the look and feel has changed since since excel 2.0.
    BTW Get used to the deep end if you intend to work in manufacturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'd tend to agree with the above, I just google whatever I'm stuck on and you will find an ans quick enough. If you say you have been thrown in the deep end of excel I take it you regularly use macros and vba, its very useful to have some knowledge of computer programing for vb, in terms of keep on top of your code, minimizing the number of loops etc. Here is where book on basic programing will help you definitely.

Advertisement