Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner Horse Rider

Options
  • 30-09-2010 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I did horse riding years ago and have taken it up again recently, although Im still a beginner. Its going good except one thing that I want to master - my feet keep moving around in the stippups. After one lesson my instructor wanted me to move onto Intermediate already but I dont feel ready. Any tips on what Im doing wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Heya :) It sound as if your problem is that you don't have your heel quite down far enough or not enough weight in your heels. Prehaps your stirrups are a hole too long? Try putting them up one hole to see if that helps. Also, try keeping more leg contact on the saddle, without squeezing the horse. If your leg is barely touching the saddle, or isn't touching the saddle in all places it should, it's a lot harder to keep your feet in place. Ask your instuctor if you are correct if you are unsure. Other than that, it's all about practise!

Ask if your school does lunge lessons. This way the instuctor controls the horse and you can concentrate on keeping your heels down and your feet still.

If your are not ready for intermediate, don't hesitate to tell your instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

I second everything sup dude said, becoming more stable (excuse the pun) in the saddle comes with time and practise.

Lunge lessons are really good for learning stability and balance. When you are riding try and actively think about dropping your weight down through your heal making sure that the stirrup in on the ball of your foot. If it is to far forward or back your balance will be affected, it should always be on the ball of your foot. Also stirrup length will have an effect, try shortening your stirrups and then gradually lengthening them for flatwork. As your instructor for advise on this.

I have a tendencly to bring my heals up when I ask my horse to move away from my leg and that is something I need to work on personally too. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Both the above posters have made really good suggestions. I always find that shortening my stirrups about 2 holes really helps with keeping my heel down.

Do you do much work without stirrups? I always find that removing my stirrups really helps me to get my leg in a better position, pulling me deeper into the saddle and therefore helping me keep my heel down.

If you don't feel comfortable moving up to intermediate lessons yet, then just tell your instructor that you'd like to stay in the beginner class for another little while until you're happy. They shouldn't have a problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

went for my second lesson and same thing with losing my feet in the stirrups. although it was only my second lesson instructor urged me to try cantering - i said am i good enough to do that already and they said yes. it went ok except for the feet :( we tried trotting without the stirrups and it was ok. ive rode about 6 times in my life so maybe i should be patient. im begining to wonder will i ever get my feet right or should i give up! I dont want to give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

TBH if you have only ridden about 6 times before it sounds as though the instructor may be trying to get you to run before you can walk, IYKWIM. A good instructor will progress at a pace that suits both your ability & your confidence & comfort levels. If your feet are moving around a lot in trot than it is very likely that you will "grip up" & lose your stirrups in canter. I find working in trot without stirrups really helps - I hate it but know it's good for me :)

As suggested maybe see if you can get a lunge lesson or two, so that you can concentrate solely on your position & don't be afraid to say "no" if you feel you are being pushed to do something you don't feel ready for. You should be eager to move on to the next stage with your riding, not apprehensive & of course a horse will sense this as well.

Good Luck

• Advertisement

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    went for my second lesson and same thing with losing my feet in the stirrups. although it was only my second lesson instructor urged me to try cantering - i said am i good enough to do that already and they said yes. it went ok except for the feet :( we tried trotting without the stirrups and it was ok. ive rode about 6 times in my life so maybe i should be patient. im begining to wonder will i ever get my feet right or should i give up! I dont want to give up.

Cantering after being on horse about 6 times seems very early to me, but then, I haven't seen you ride. If you do not feel sure you are ready, don't canter! Don't worry about the feet. I've been riding a lot longer than you have and I still have problems sometimes with my feet when cantering. It comes with practice, don't worry about it. It is certainly no reason to quit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I always canter half seat (outside). Not sure if you are supposed to but I find it more comfortable.

is it strange that during my last lesson my ankle was sore? It kept curling under the horse. My instructor asked me had I ever broken my ankle. I havn't.

That's normal until you get used to it. It is your muscles being stretched in a new way. Unless it is very sore in which case I would advice to go get it checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

Really sink your weight in your heels. Actually as silly as it sounds, walking around on your heels will help you out there.

• Advertisement

sorry for all my questions but this is the last one :) went riding again last night and i was a bit better than last week - still not great with my feet etc but instructor siad my upper body position is excellent - my saddle position good and my legs I need to work on! But is it normal to be practically holding on for dear life while cantering??? It was my second time ever cantering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

sorry for all my questions but this is the last one :) went riding again last night and i was a bit better than last week - still not great with my feet etc but instructor siad my upper body position is excellent - my saddle position good and my legs I need to work on! But is it normal to be practically holding on for dear life while cantering??? It was my second time ever cantering.

:D:D. I was the same when I learned to ride first. It just takes a bit of experience to realise that you are not going to fall off! The potential power of the horse can be quite a shock when you first learn to canter.

One thing to watch....make sure that you are not gripping the horse with your legs. That will cause you to lose your stirrups.

:D:D. I was the same when I learned to ride first. It just takes a bit of experience to realise that you are not going to fall off! The potential power of the horse can be quite a shock when you first learn to canter.

One thing to watch....make sure that you are not gripping the horse with your legs. That will cause you to lose your stirrups.

My horse was so great - when cantering I felt unsteady one time and the horse sensed that and slowed down so I wouldnt fall off - what a sweetie :) But yeah it was kinda scary - it feels so fast but yet its not really. I find that when I go to kick the horse to move on Im kicking nothing - as my feet are too far forward.

as my feet are too far forward.

That could also be part of your feet problem. Keep your heels down, not forward :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

One of the things about heelsdown is its un-natural for beginners and especially if Female as your achilles tendon is not used to being stretched.High Heels cause the exact opposite.

So with a natural tendency to grip up and then with what feels like heels down but is more likely just a flat foot you will loose your stirrups.
    So just to get the body used to the stretch stand on the edge of a small step and let the weight into your heels. This will also help your general balance but be careful the first few times that you can grap on to something as you will be shakey if you try to balance straight off.

Also if when riding you think weight down and slightly on the outside of your foot it helps take you knee way slightly and prevent you gripping up and letting your foot lose contact with the stirrup

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

agree with all of the above, especially about not moving on if you're not ready- theres nothing to make you lose confidence in a sport like horse riding like being pushed to far before you're comfortable - it applies to riders, and horses too really!! no stirrups work in trot will make you sit deeper in your seat which will naturally push your heels down, and make sure not to grip with your knees in particular - this will cause you to tip forward and throw your heels up. also, try not to worry about it too much - try focus on the rest of your position and it should all come together - shoulders, thumbs up, sitting deep in your saddle - improving the rest of your position as well will help everything come together nicely. and remember - if your not ready dont let yourself be pushed on - horse riding is something to relax and ENJOY, not to be stressed out by by attempting things your not ready for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 daiz

try riding bareback its so good for gaining confidence and you naturally position yourself and regarding your feet moving around bareback will definatly help as your legs are your saddle stirrips and way of staying on it will also help with cantering because you have full movement of your body nothing to make you bounce and you wont lose a stirrip. its a sugestion worth trying

Advertisement