Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience in Psychology?

Options
  • 30-09-2010 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi everybody! Just wondering is it possible to get a weeks work experience anywhere, in anything related to psychology? It's for LCVP..we were told to find experience in a field that we might be considering as a career. I have no idea what psychology would be like, but it does interest me and would love to learn more!

Any ideas..?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Do you live anywhere near a university/college that offers Psychology? If you do, contact them and ask them if they would allow you work with the psychology technician/observe lectures/help with administrative work (like sending out questionnaires)/assisting in experiments. Somebody I know did this and found it very beneficial in finding out what a college degree/postgraduate studies actually entails (it did put her off doing psychology though!). The psychology department of the college would need to be large enough to have enough research activity going on to give you something to do for the days you are there.

I doubt very much that you can get work experience working with a clinical/educational psychologist, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hello, I was asked by a TY student if they could do a placement with me - this is years ago - and I was troubled by confidentiality. Most of my time is spent with clients. Anyway, what I ended up doing was giving a talk to the students. I enjoyed it, and the questions that I was asked were very engaging. Although there were some left-of-field!

Advertisement