Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No TAX on car

Options
  • 30-09-2010 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I've look for that but unable to locate valid answer.

Situation - I'm buying car on Sunday and it is without TAX and NCT booked.

How I can bring it home instead of buying it and leaving with seller just to go couple hundreds miles to pay a tax for it (which might be difficult as in the system there will be still old owner) and then back to pick up the car ?

Towing isn't option as they gave me price that match price of the car making whole purchase nonsense.

I know that I shouldn't drive car on the road without TAX but I have in mind that I will pay tax anyway for remaining month.

Tom
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 princess123

someone please correct me if im wrong but you cant pay tax unless its registeted in your name so as long as you have all the docs you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Get the owner to tax it before you buy it and add it to the cost? Otherwise you could be waiting a while to get it on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

someone please correct me if im wrong but you cant pay tax unless its registeted in your name so as long as you have all the docs you should be ok.

Most correct!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Thread is mental. Just drive the bloody thing and sort the tax out when you get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ken2010

Just drive the car home and back tax it when you get the log book...you wont get into any hassle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

ah i buy cars regularly and have come across checkpoints before if you are stopped chances are garda will mention tax but just explain the situation and you should be fine,unless the garda is in a bad mood

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Lads, encouraging others to break the law is against the charter. Any more of it and people get infracted/banned.

kbannon wrote: »
    Posts that encourage drivers to break the law e.g. telling people to make false motor tax declarations may result in either an infraction or a banning.
    Similar punishment will be awarded to those who request such advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Lads, encouraging others to break the law is against the charter. Any more of it and people get infracted/banned.

It not encouraging anyone to break the law at all, there is a period of grace once you purchases to get the ownership transferred to your own name allowing you to tax the car in your own name.

ie not encouraging anyone to break the law.

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It not encouraging anyone to break the law at all, there is a period of grace once you purchases to get the ownership transferred to your own name allowing you to tax the car in your own name.

Adrian

Im not so sure there is any official period where it is ok to be on the road without tax. Sure many drive without tax when just after buying the car but I think the gardai can still do you for it if they so wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

there is no NCT on car, so the guards will pull you for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

If you do take possession of the car make sure you don't park it on a public road. If you do then you might get a ticket from a passing Garda or traffic warden for non display of a tax disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why are you buying a car without an NCT? It only costs them 50, so there has to be something wrong with it. There is no grace period for Tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Car broken down before NCT - it is still drivable.

Seller won't tax it as don't want to spend any more money on this.

I won't tax it as I don't want to buy pig in a poke.

And can't pay tax on Sunday.

So anyway I'm between rock and hard place

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dubluc

Tom

If car has no NCT you can get penalty points for driving it if caught and possibly a conviction if you go to court.
    If car has no tax you can get fined or perhaps taken to court and a conviction also.
    It is the owner and/or driver's responsibility to make sure both are in order.
    If the seller won't facilitate by making the car compliant with relevant legislation before selling it then best advice would be don't buy. There are plenty of sellers/garages who would be only too happy to have a car roadworthy and compliant with the law before selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Adrian

Please - show me that period of grace in Irish Statute Book.
    Otherwise your words mean nothing.

PS. Don't look for it, as there isn't any period of grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Tom

Walk away from the car and the seller. Why on earth would you buy a car that has broken down and has no NCT; god knows how much extra expense you are going to incur after the deal to get the car back up and running and thru the NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

djimi wrote: »
    Walk away from the car and the seller. Why on earth would you buy a car that has broken down and has no NCT; god knows how much extra expense you are going to incur after the deal to get the car back up and running and thru the NCT.

Would you get away out of that. Just because you might not have the means or inclination to tidy something up and use it, doesn't mean nobody else has. There's plenty of cars sold for next to nothing that a handy DIY mechanic can sort out and NCT without much expense or trouble.

OP - Where's the car located and where is it going to, and what is it? Stick up that info and you might find a boards.ie willing to transport it for a lot less than you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

CiniO wrote: »
    Please - show me that period of grace in Irish Statute Book.
    Otherwise your words mean nothing.

PS. Don't look for it, as there isn't any period of grace.

While I too think the OP should get the seller to sort this out, lets get out of by the book and into the real world, as mentioned this is a common and sometimes unavoidable situation and the Gardai, at their discretion, are very understanding of it.

Thankfully we dont live in a binary world with robot policing. I have had many discussions with Garda's on Tax and generally they have listened to the situation with understanding, which is exactly as they are advised to do, no need to throw Statute books around at all. Also one is not liable for the past owners tax (or lack of it) anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Exactly ^

If you can show proof to the Garda that you've just bought the car that has no Tax/NCT, they're hardly going to crucify you are they? Most of them anyway.

It takes time to transfer ownership, thus taxing the car immediately straight after buying it is impossible.

Same goes for an NCT. There's a huge backlog already and not everyone has the funds or the means to have a newly purchased car towed/trailered.

This sort of scenario goes on all the time and unless you get really unlucky and get some absolute ar$ehole of a Garda on the warpath, then I'm sure you'd be fine.

Obviously I wouldn't recommend driving the breadth of the country with the car in this situation, but if it was only, say, 30 mins drive... I'd just do it and start the process of getting the car road legal as soon as you got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

RoverCraft wrote: »
    Would you get away out of that. Just because you might not have the means or inclination to tidy something up and use it, doesn't mean nobody else has. There's plenty of cars sold for next to nothing that a handy DIY mechanic can sort out and NCT without much expense or trouble.

Depends on the car, the price and the situation.

I didnt get the impression from the OP that the car is being bought as some kind of fix-me-up project car (given that they assumed it would be NCTd when they bought it and it subsequently broke down), but if Im wrong then fair enough.

If Im right however and this was being sold as a working car and was priced the same as such then I stand by my statement and think they should walk away from the deal and go look for a similar car that is working and NCTd.

• Advertisement

its common sense that if the car is out of tax that you cant tax it on till the log book is sent back in your name...so there is a grace period alright. its a different story if your after being driving around for a while without tax and getting stop by the garda's that breaking the law....

Adrian

very true... at least some is talking some sense:)
    Matt Simis wrote: »
    While I too think the OP should get the seller to sort this out, lets get out of by the book and into the real world, as mentioned this is a common and sometimes unavoidable situation and the Gardai, at their discretion, are very understanding of it.

Thankfully we dont live in a binary world with robot policing. I have had many discussions with Garda's on Tax and generally they have listened to the situation with understanding, which is exactly as they are advised to do, no need to throw Statute books around at all. Also one is not liable for the past owners tax (or lack of it) anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Hi All

car is in Wexford and I'm in Bray so it is 130 km drive along.

I'll check it if it drive and then decide what to do.

Tom

thanks for all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

ken2010 wrote: »
    its common sense that if the car is out of tax that you cant tax it on till the log book is sent back in your name...so there is a grace period alright. its a different story if your after being driving around for a while without tax and getting stop by the garda's that breaking the law....

Demonstrate this false assertion. By law you may not drive a car untaxed. There are no get out clauses. None. A Garda may turn a blind eye, but there are no exemptions that allow you to use a car untaxed.

you will be grand driving it

ken2010 wrote: »
    you will be grand driving it

Unless you are caught. Are you prepared to take the rap for your bad advice should the OP be unfortunate enough to be caught?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Demonstrate this false assertion. By law you may not drive a car untaxed. There are no get out clauses. None. A Garda may turn a blind eye, but there are no exemptions that allow you to use a car untaxed.
    Unless you are caught. Are you prepared to take the rap for your bad advice should the OP be unfortunate enough to be caught?

Yeah we get it, you want it in writing from a solicitor. As mentioned by several people above, Garda are told to use their discretion for a reason, we live in an imperfect world. You cannot always 100% comply with every law in every single situation. Accept that and live an easier, happier life. Or dont and continue to curtain peak.
    But you cannot "win" with your line of thought here as we are all in shades of grey.

whats your advice wise one?

Get the car taxed before driving it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

while it is obviously illegal to drive a car untaxed never mind NCT the Gardai do use their common sense. However buying it from a private seller does not give you the required receipt as proof of purchase allowing a garda to use his/her common sense their in. I would try to get someone to tow you or a car lift.

I bought a Focus once from a garage in Dublin City and was stopped a few days later however had receipt and garda let me off never even looked at receipt that was a few years ago. However today you cant take those chances with a private purchase, today the garda Traffic Corps take no st1t from anyone and that was told to me by a Garda

Advertisement