Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get the best sound from skyhd box??

Options
  • 30-09-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭

I am at moment using an audio cable from box to cinema system which i am happy enough with.

I tried with optical also but sound is much lower? Should it be this way?

Whats usually the best option considering i have a good cinema system i wanna get most out of watching the football :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It only makes any difference on Movie channels that have Dolby Digital. Most regular TV is stereo and makes no difference if turned to analogue in your home Theater amp or in the Digibox.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

watty wrote: »
    It only makes any difference on Movie channels that have Dolby Digital. Most regular TV is stereo and makes no difference if turned to analogue in your home Theater amp or in the Digibox.

I notice that optical no matter what channel i use it on is lower.
    Hence why i use the audio cables instead and optical on the ps3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If you have the HD channels, then you should most definitely be using optical. The red and white cables only give you stereo sound, optical gives you Dolby Digital on practically all of the HD channels.

The sound may appear "lower", simply because Dolby Digital delivers audio to each individual channel - commentary, for example, only comes from the front centre speaker - whereas the red and white cables provide just stereo which will usually end up coming out all speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭recycler1

Kensington wrote: »
    If you have the HD channels, then you should most definitely be using optical. The red and white cables only give you stereo sound, optical gives you Dolby Digital on practically all of the HD channels.

The sound may appear "lower", simply because Dolby Digital delivers audio to each individual channel - commentary, for example, only comes from the front centre speaker - whereas the red and white cables provide just stereo which will usually end up coming out all speakers.

I agree with you, optical is the way to go, with HD.
    I have set the centre speaker higher (+5dB) than the remainder on my system so that dialogue can be heard clearly. You wouldn't expect to have to raise it by so much, but it works for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ill have to check it out next time watching a match as i only have two sections for optical on my sound system and my pc and ps3 are using them at mo.

Should i set the speakers to anything like someone mentioned with the +db??

There tower speakers two behind me two in front then bar speaker in middle and sub. With the postioning of the room the speakers are closer enough. Ill have to get a picture of something to explain.

This is front view 5039264027_dc5d817d07_b.jpg

And from the side 5039884792_836896498f_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

optical is the way to go.. most of the bbchd programs are 2.1 or 5.1 DD .

i have never used the speakers on my tv.

What amp are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

There isn't a co-ax on the back of your Sky+HD box by any chance? The most recent Amstrad's have them, so if you have a spare co-ax input on your surround sound you could use that.

As for adjustment of speaker levels, it's pretty much down to personal preference and what sounds good to you! What sounds great on one surround sound system in one room could sound terrible in another.

Advertisement