Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise on amp with boss pedals

Options
  • 30-09-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi I have a boss ds 1 and a chromatic tuner! These are on a daisy chain power supply!
    There is a humming off my amp that gets worse when I press down on the chromatic tuner!
    When I turn the tone up on the ds1this gets worse, not sure wot the problem is! Any ideas, new to all this!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Sounds like a ground loop hum. Can you power the two off batteries and see if the hum is still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

they're not battery powered,

they're on a daisy chain 9v power supply

it's fine now until i turn on the tuner, it gets worse

can anything be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rustyregan

What kind of amp is it? (i.e. tube or solid state?) If it's a tube amp, possibly one of the tubes is loose. This would be clear if one of the tubes isn't lighting up. You can just push it back in, taking care not to touch anything else, in order to avoid electric shock.

If you can't figure it out, I'd advise you bring it, and the pedals to an amp repair person and they'll let you know what the problem is fairly quick. (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59673644). They won't charge for just looking at it, I'm pretty sure.

Good luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

they're not battery powered,

they're on a daisy chain 9v power supply

it's fine now until i turn on the tuner, it gets worse

can anything be done?

Yes but they can be powered by them. Just give them ago and see if the problem is still there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

your problem is the daisy chain!!
    your not using isolated power

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

is it a boss branded power supply? Not using a boss one has caused me trouble in the past..

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭zafo

punchdrunk wrote: »
    your problem is the daisy chain!!
    your not using isolated power

Boss pedals usually work just fine with a daisy chain and I know for a fact that the ds 1 and tu 2 will work perfectly fine on a daisy chain from a decent power supply (boss one works well for me). I'd say the problem might be the power supply itself, especially so if it's a cheap unregulated one.

I agree with whoever said try it with batteries and see if the noise still persists. Also is the ds 1 turned on when the tuner is on, that could also be a source of noise, if so try putting the tuner after the ds 1 and see if it makes any difference.

Advertisement