Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Jacket was stolen from the restaurant - do I have any rights?

Options
  • 29-09-2010 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

We went to the restaurant couple of days ago. I would like to say we enjoyed the evening, but... Here is the story:

We wanted to celebrate one of my friend’s big day and we left disgraced and disappointed with the staff attitude. This evening cost was €160 for just ok food, €300 for stolen leather jacket and a very bad aftertaste of one of the poorest customer service I have ever experienced.

All was ok until my friend discovered that his jacket is missing.. Before the dinner the waitress asked us for our coats and we gave them to her thinking, that they are going to be left somewhere safe. Can you imagine our surprise or rather shock, when we discovered that it was exactly the opposite! I don’t know how they could leave them downstairs on the hanger right next to the exit!!
    My friend was then told was “Well someone must have mistakenly taken it”. When he said it was an unusual and expensive jacket and it would be difficult to confuse it with something else he got the look as he was trying to fool them at the restaurant. On his remark that there were his home and car keys in the pocket, he was told sth like “It is not our problem or responsibility”. We asked them for the CCTV footage and they said ther are no cameras in the restaurant...

My friend couldn’t get any answers about the refund policies etc - they didn’t want to hear him asking these questions. Instead of explaining him what is the situation, they kept trying to convince my friend that the jacket was taken by mistake and it will be returned. After 3 or 4 days when it wasn’t returned they were rather unpleasant and kind of avoiding contacts. It is a one week now and he is still nowhere and really frustrated.

I am really ennoyed with their attitude and wondering whether my friend has any rights in this siruation?

Any sugestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Since the restaurant staff took the coats, they became responsible for them. Any sign that might say "We are not responsible for personal belongings left with us" is a nonsense. In order to get any compensation for the cost of the jacket, you will probably need to use the court. Put the claim in writing to the restaurant first, and await a response. If they don't respond, or respond with a PFO, then put the claim in to the Small Claims Court.

If the SCC doesn't work, then you'll need to get a solicitor to write to them. This worked for a friend of mine some years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

jor el wrote: »
    Since the restaurant staff took the coats, they became responsible for them. Any sign that might say "We are not responsible for personal belongings left with us" is a nonsense. In order to get any compensation for the cost of the jacket, you will probably need to use the court. Put the claim in writing to the restaurant first, and await a response. If they don't respond, or respond with a PFO, then put the claim in to the Small Claims Court.

If the SCC doesn't work, then you'll need to get a solicitor to write to them. This worked for a friend of mine some years ago.

But who covers the cost of the solicitor? Mind you a letter would cost abouy €100, better than losing €300!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

You do not need an expensive solicitor. Write to The Restaurant, asking for an explanation. You gave them your jacket in Good Faith. They are 100% responsible. It will not come out of their pocket, they will have insurance for this eventuality. You may not get the replacement cost if the jacket has had some use. Does your friend have a receipt or a CC Statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The small claims court will be sufficient. Make sure you have registered a letter to the restaurant asking for compensation, then failing that make a SCC claim. Ensure you have receipts that you were at the restaurant and that your dining companions will back you up. It would also help if you can go back and take a photo of the coat stand next to the exit as evidence of negligence. I presume you have also reported the stolen coat to the Gardai.

You may also be able to claim against your house insurance in the event of a claim failure.

Advertisement