Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Had my first lesson last week. Your opinion please?

Options
  • 29-09-2010 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

It went quite well. I was driving on the open roads after around 20 minutes. That's not bad is it, considering I had never even started a car before?

Anyway, none of my family drive so I have nothing to practise in. I have had only one lesson and I'm going to do at least ten.

My question is should I bother getting a car to practise in or should I just stick to the lessons and then go for my test? Do you know anyone that passed without having their own car/a car to practise in?

The insurance would be quite expensive as I can't go on anyone's insurance. I would also need to get a qualified driver to come out with me in my car.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

It went quite well. I was driving on the open roads after around 20 minutes. That's not bad is it, considering I had never even started a car before?

Anyway, none of my family drive so I have nothing to practise in. I have had only one lesson and I'm going to do at least ten.

My question is should I bother getting a car to practise in or should I just stick to the lessons and then go for my test? Do you know anyone that passed without having their own car/a car to practise in?

The insurance would be quite expensive as I can't go on anyone's insurance. I would also need to get a qualified driver to come out with me in my car.
    TBH getting as much practice in as possible is the key, that said im sure youd be quite capable to drive after 10 lessons but i doubt up yo test standard, i could be wrong thats ust my opinion

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

The culture here of going out to buy a car before you pass your test is mad imo.

You'll have the purchase cost, running costs like tax, fuel, repairs etc. not to mention huge insurance from the outset.

Invest your money wisely in properly structured driving lessons like you've started to. Learn to drive, not pass a test then once you have your full licence think about it then.

I passed my test, first time, without driving any car other than my instructors. est of luck with the rest of your lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Until I passed my test, I never drove a car other than my instructors car. I passed first time. It means you don't develop any bad habits before the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I found having my own car great for practising. It was worth paying through the roof for insurance. I also passed first time, and after a very short period of time.

Edit: I also had no family members to come out with me in the car. I had to rope friends into taking me out but that would only be once a fortnight or so. I did a bit of bold sneaky solo driving around my area every evening to practise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I still think having your own car to practice in gives you a better chance at passing your test then again you might develop bad habits but thats what the instructor is there for to stop you from developing bad habits! You don't necessarily have to do all of your lessons with your instructor with the instructors car, you can in fact have your lessons in your own car! Obviously nominate a fully licenced holder to accompany you when you are practicing in between lessons, you wouldn't be insured otherwise. You are not insured to drive on your own. The only time you are insured is when you are accompained by a fully licenced holder of 2 or 3 years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BikingChick

It depends on individual circumstances. For someone who is just brushing up or who had previous lessons but never did a test, or who had a licence in a country not recognised as a member state & had to start from scratch with the Irish system, a few lessons with an instructor will see you through. I found that despite not being in my teens or early 20's, insurance would be DOUBLE the amount on a learner permit than a full licence. Practice is invaluable, but try to weigh up the costs in how many road hours you need to clock up. Find out the difference in insurance costs for learner permit and full licence for yourself. Ask yourself how many hours you could reasonably get out and about with someone legally allowed to supervise you in your own car - will this person be available much? Also be aware that with the changes in driving tests and rules of the road etc, an instructor will be totally up to date and keep you right to avoid bad habits. Of course, you can just go over stuff that your instructor taught you in between lessons in your own practice time. Really, it may come down to money, especially as a new learner has to wait 6 months before they can apply for their test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I think it's solely up to yourself. Although asking this after the first lesson might be a little early!

What I mean is leave it a couple of weeks (lessons)and see if the methods are becoming second nature (instead of going through that mental check-list every time). Knowing the vehicle and learning to drive by feeling/reaction to it.

While your own car would help, you may pick up some bad habits if you were out with anyone other than an instructor (coasting, etc).

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Are you planning on driving your own car after the test ?

If so, it might be worth getting one now - the more accompanied practice you can get the better in my opinion, as long as you are applying what a good instructor has taught you.

Advertisement