Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elderly collie lady not being looked after

Options
  • 29-09-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I hope somebody can advise me as to the best course of action here. My neighbours down the road have an elderly collie that I am concerned about. I have seen her on her own in our local park a few times when I have been walking my dog. Although I disagree completely with dogs being let out to walk themselves, this appears to be a frequent occurrence where I am living. Everybody in the area appears to know each other's dogs. so I have just had to reluctantly accept it that this is allowed (any advice to the contrary that I've ever tried to give anyone around here just falls on deaf ears anyway).

However, a couple of incidents have made me quite concerned about this dog. Yesterday evening she was lying on the pavement outside her owner's house. From a distance she looked dead, but she lifted her head when we went up to her. There didn't appear to be anyone at home.

This evening, it was even worse. I was out walking my dog, taking a shortcut in the passage under our local train station. The dog was lying there, initially very unresponsive. A couple of people had stopped to see how she was and one was about to call the pound. I brought the dog home, and the young man who opened the door seemed completely unconcerned about the poor thing. I should add that she had to cross an extremely busy road to get to where I found her.

Now I am wondering what I should do if I find this dog out wandering again. Must I return her to these people, and maybe have a chat with one of the more responsive members of the family? Or should I try to get her into rescue? If so, could anyone here help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

From what you have described, in my opinion...this elderly dog needs immediate veterinary attention. I am begging you that next time you see anything like this happening, I would advise you to call your local rescue centre...not pound...and they will give you the correct advice or even better...report the owners anonymously and explain everything you described on this.

Good luck.

Advertisement