Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone line in new build

Options
  • 29-09-2010 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all ,
    looking for some more advice. I was going to have the telcom duct for the phone line done for my new build, which is starting soon. I see that it is costing €400 + vat. Broad band supplied by eircom is rubbish in the area.
    The neighbours have cut their phone lines and are using mobiles for talk and internet , so should I bother ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

I have built my own house and put in a tel duct, which has not been used

- Cost of land line is a joke
    - we have 2 mobiles in house with good reception
    - with HKC's wirless home box, no need for landline for alarm
    - use wireless co for broadband which is faster and cheaper

No brainer if you ask me, but sure why not put the duct in anyway.

Good luck with the build ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,312 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Id put the duct in. It shouldnt cost too much. You never know when eircom will come up with good broadband in the area etc.
    If you run it by the front gates, you could always use it for power to gates in future or for lighting etc if you dont go for the phone line
    You can never have too many ducts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭country home

can i ask where the €400 is coming from. .

im just moving in to my new build, and i have a duct in, and the duct is 450 meters long. . . . i hope to get the cable myself and feed this through the duct with pull rope, and bring it to the main road where eircom is passing. . . .

is a new connection/ like say ESB, a new Eircom Connection €400???

if this is the case, then ill never have a landline. . . its almost 90% waste of money and service as it is. . . as i surf the web tonight its dropping/freezing. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bobsyr

can i ask where the €400 is coming from. .

im just moving in to my new build, and i have a duct in, and the duct is 450 meters long. . . . i hope to get the cable myself and feed this through the duct with pull rope, and bring it to the main road where eircom is passing. . . .

is a new connection/ like say ESB, a new Eircom Connection €400???

if this is the case, then ill never have a landline. . . its almost 90% waste of money and service as it is. . . as i surf the web tonight its dropping/freezing. . .

Hi ya,
    the €400 is on my quote, the full description of what it is, is this:

Roped E.S.B duct in trench inc. pea gravel surround and back filled with Clause 804 €400. + VAT.
    Ditto but telecom duct €400+VAT.

Not sure if that make any sense to you( it doesnt to me)

There will be a seperate cost for connection to Eircom and ESB I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

bobsyr wrote: »
    Hi all ,
    looking for some more advice. I was going to have the telcom duct for the phone line done for my new build, which is starting soon. I see that it is costing €400 + vat. Broad band supplied by eircom is rubbish in the area.
    The neighbours have cut their phone lines and are using mobiles for talk and internet , so should I bother ??

I'm just about to build and am living in rented accommodation which had no phone line. I got wireless broadband (as in not through the phone line) and am using a VoIp phone service from Blueface (www.blueface.ie) through the internet connection and it works a dream....AND is way cheaper!

I'm going to do the same in my new house. No need for phone line. Plenty of wireless broadband providers out there. I live in a very rural area of County Cork and got wireless radio broadband through a local crowd (Cork Community Broadband - www.ccbisp.net).

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Hang on, are they digging two seperate trenches for ESB & Eircom ? They should be able to dig the one trench and lay both conduits in the one. I'd say run the conduit now, but I would'nt be too pushed about getting eircom unless you have a need for low latency high speed connections (something you may not even get from eircom by the sound of it).

Fixed lines are a joke, your talking about 50 quid per month for a phoneline you probably wont use at all and broadband, in any sensible system you should only have to pay for the broadband, but I guess they know a money spinner when they see it.

The main options in internet I know of are

ADSL, Phone line broadband from eircom etc - Low latency, Quite fast, medium/high price
    Wireless(WiMax etc) - Medium/High latency, Fast, medium price
    Sattelite - High latency, fast, expensive, high availabilty
    Cable, Low Latency, fast, rare enough and restricted to urban areas afaik
    3G Mobile, Medium Latency, Medium speed, Prices are very reasonable. Biggest problem is coverage, and it can vary with weather and users.
    Dial Up - All around awful
    ISDN - Marginally better than Dial up.

You can find more info at the governments website (including coverage maps)

http://mapviewer.broadband.gov.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Put in the duct - you can use it for the fibre that they'll surely run by your house soon !

Advertisement