Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss pedals for rhythm guitarist

Options
  • 29-09-2010 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi All,

I play rhythm guitar in a rock cover band,

We play pearl jam, foo fighters, arctic monkeys ect.......

I have a ds 1 and a chromatic tuner but i'm looking to add a new pedal to my board just for extra effects on certain songs

Would you recommend a chorus, flanger or phaser

I want to stick with the boss range

cheers dudes.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

It's a bit like asking what equipment should a person interested in sports get :)

You will need to work out what type of sound you want to have available to you.. I'd suggest looking up the effects used by the bands you like, and looking at the different effects on Youtube to get an idea of which sounds suit you best, then go for that..

It may also be worth checking out some of the multi effects units (on adverts.ie).. a second hand unit probably wont cost much more than a single new boss pedal..

Any particular reason you only want Boss pedals?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

Hi All,

I have a ds 1 and a chromatic tuner but i'm looking to add a new pedal to my board just for extra effects on certain songs

cheers dudes.......

Um... The Boss Chorus Ensemble, the Boss Flanger or the Boss Phaser maybe? Just go into X music and try them all out for yourself. I'd say the phaser is most useable though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I'd also suggest a decent compressor. Especially useful on cleaner rhythm sounds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Hi All,

cheers dudes.......

I wouldnt limit you choice just to boss. in my chain I have a DD3 and a TU2, but i also use MXR and Blackstar.

I used to own a DS1, but never giged it as i hated it, it cut my bottom end when i used a lot of distortion. The boss super overdrive, blues driver and overdrive/distortion are nice pedals. i like the overdrive/distortion, as you can have a tiny bit of crunch, to full on distortion. I love the blackstar range of overdrive pedals, bit expensive though!

your best bet it to head into xmusic or your local shop and mess with a few pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

Of those you picked I'd go with the chorus or phaser, as they'd see more use than the flanger I'd think.
    However, you shouldn't limit yourself to one company, some do some sounds better than others and most take the same kind of power supply so there's no compatibility issues with mixing and matching.
    I think you'd be better off with a nice delay, od or compressor pedal as someone else said. Those would probably be used more than what you're looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

I think A multi effects pedal would be the way to go for you.

But just to be safe go in to a music shop and try out all the pedals. If you aren't sure or are interested in the sounds they can all provide, invest in a multi effects pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

i've been looking at demos on youtube of the boss compression sustainer

is it me or does it not seem to make a great difference to your sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

i've been looking at demos on youtube of the boss compression sustainer

is it me or does it not seem to make a great difference to your sound?
    Compression is quite a subtle effect, compared to chorus, flanger and so on. It can really add a lot though. It can smooth out your sound and give a lovely crisp edge to single notes, as well as increasing your sustain. Try one out and you'll notice the difference!

Advertisement