Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Technology Degress Course In Ireland

Options
  • 29-09-2010 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

I'm really interested to do a course in this next september. Just wondering if anyone has done this course or is in the course now and can tell what collages in Ireland that have this course ? Any help is appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Moved to Music Production.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Do a search for "music technology" on this forum and you should find all the information you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

DKIT start a new one next year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

There are degree courses in NUI Maynooth, Tralee IT and Limerick IT at the moment as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

Limerick and Maynooth have been doing it for a while so have their experience and any niggles sorted. Tralee is a few years into it and I think Dundalk is very very new? Starting next year I think someone said here.

Id check out BCFE too. Great little course that ties into British uni's for the degree. My preferred option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

bbk wrote: »
    Limerick and Maynooth have been doing it for a while so have their experience and any niggles sorted. Tralee is a few years into it and I think Dundalk is very very new? Starting next year I think someone said here.

Id check out BCFE too. Great little course that ties into British uni's for the degree. My preferred option.

Not really but they are revising the syllabus so that indicates something good for the future.

In Dundalk the degree is new the masters course has been going for a few years. They have moved into a huge new building and are tooled up to the gunnels from what I hear. I saw the place before it was fitted and it was really impressive. The gear is nice too, Audient and protools rig. Some nice outboard too and a truck load of new Mac's gone in.

I was very happy with the level of the lecturers there and I learned quite a lot of new stuff, that said most of the courses in Music Technology cover very similar ground. (Electro Acoustic, Psychoacoustics, Synthesis blah, blah).

I think the Dundalk degree course will be a bit different as it's actually a Music Production degree as opposed to Music Technology like Limerick or Music Technology as an extra subject like Maynooth.

I think it's only a matter of time before one of the colleges puts together an actual music technology degree, through a computer science department as opposed to just messing around with the odd Vst and Max etc. Then it'll get really interesting imo.

studiorat wrote: »
    In Dundalk the degree is new the masters course has been going for a few years. They have moved into a huge new building and are tooled up to the gunnels from what I hear. I saw the place before it was fitted and it was really impressive. The gear is nice too, Audient and protools rig. Some nice outboard too and a truck load of new Mac's gone in.

I was very happy with the level of the lecturers there and I learned quite a lot of new stuff, that said most of the courses in Music Technology cover very similar ground. (Electro Acoustic, Psychoacoustics, Synthesis blah, blah).

I think the Dundalk degree course will be a bit different as it's actually a Music Production degree as opposed to Music Technology like Limerick or Music Technology as an extra subject like Maynooth.

I think it's only a matter of time before one of the colleges puts together an actual music technology degree, through a computer science department as opposed to just messing around with the odd Vst and Max etc. Then it'll get really interesting imo.

I'm in that building at the moment studying Software Development. Considering switching course if the Music Production degree comes on board.

The new building (Carrolls) is very impressive. Had a look into one of the Music Tech labs. There seems to be brand new Mac Pros in the labs but I'm not sure, didn't get a proper look at them.

So are you saying they have a proper studio Studiorat? Haven't seen that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Thanks for the info lads was thinking about heading over the water to do my degree but atm it's looking very pricey. Looks like Tralee or Dundalk could be on the cards. Anyone got any info on the Music tech course in Limierick ? The only info I could find on there website was just the masters course.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info lads was thinking about heading over the water to do my degree but atm it's looking very pricey. Looks like Tralee or Dundalk could be on the cards. Anyone got any info on the Music tech course in Limierick ? The only info I could find on there website was just the masters course.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055950363

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

There needs to be more degree courses in this area in ireland!

There needs to be more degree courses in this area in ireland!

Hmm, I dunno. The level of graduates might far outstrip the demand for work. It's not the easiest area to get into, don't think I've ever seen say an engineers job advertised on a job website.

This is true but even if you want to go abroad with the piece of paper and experience most places wont take you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

How does having more degree courses solve that? :confused:

Because at the moment if you wanna do a degree in music technology the only ones i've seen are all outside dublin...meaning its more expensive. So if they had more courses in dublin for it then it would make it easier to get the degree to either go abroad or stay at home working on music.

Because at the moment if you wanna do a degree in music technology the only ones i've seen are all outside dublin...meaning its more expensive. So if they had more courses in dublin for it then it would make it easier to get the degree to either go abroad or stay at home working on music.

The Dundalk one is a degree in Music Production AFAIK. A different thing to Music Technology. I heard there is a proper music technology degree in the pipeline somewhere else, BSc in Computing for Music, t'would be very interesting.

Advertisement