Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I do with knowledge of these programs?

Options
  • 29-09-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

How do,
    I'm currently going to finish my Engineering degree but would like to procede with an emphasis on computer programming. I don't know yet if I'd like to go back to college but of all the jobs, I feel I would enjoy it most in this field.

I feel I'm adequate at the following:
    -VB
    -Matlab
    -C++ (admittedly, it's been a while since I've toyed with this but from experience of absence I feel that a couple of days back with it would get me back to speed)
    -Solid Edge
    -Pro Engineer
    -Solid Works
    -Ansys
    -Rhino

These are all programs that I've done in college but use them outside as well for personal enjoyment (amazingly, I've had a girlfriend before, who'd have thunk?) in little games or just personal design projects.

Also programs like Photoshop which have nothing to do with my course, but feel I'm also at a slightly high standard if I commit to a project.

My problem is, for the life of me I don't know where I should go or what I should apply for job wise. Also, is there any particular one I should focus on learning more about? Or should I focus on soething that I haven't mentioned (Java?)? Or are there some I should just try my darnest to forget?

I've been in college for so long now that I don't know what is relevant in the real world so I'd appreciate any help in pointing me in the right direction where I could utilise these to maximum effect.

ps 500th post!!! No longer will I able to scan over my early posts to laugh at my witty banter, not that I did, it was just always an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Bumparama!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

-VB
    -Matlab
    -C++ (admittedly, it's been a while since I've toyed with this but from experience of absence I feel that a couple of days back with it would get me back to speed)
    -Solid Edge
    -Pro Engineer
    -Solid Works
    -Ansys
    -Rhino

You could work as an engineer. Simple as that. Consider adding labVIEW to the mix perhaps.
    Either stay in University and work in research or move to a more industrial R&D setting.
    Either way those skills are typical of a good all round engineer.

In my previous job I used Maltab to develop prototype software for handling gene expression data, image analysis and data acquisition. Some of the other guys there doing similar work use LabVIEW to automate robotics, and to acquire and analyse data.

Others use ProE on a daily basis (in fact I taught some of them ProE when they were undergrads :D) but nearly all of them can use it. I personally prefer SolidWorks tho.

Are you finishing an undergrad or a postgrad?
    All of those skills will be used extensively in an engineering postgrad.
    A smaller set of them will be used in industry simply because you will have fewer licenses available to you. Look at companies that do R&D. In particular the BioMed area.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Is there a way to market those skills to software development firms I wonder though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

5uspect wrote: »
    Consider adding labVIEW to the mix perhaps.
    Forgot to add that, already have a pretty good understanding of it.
    5uspect wrote: »
    Are you finishing an undergrad or a postgrad?
    All of those skills will be used extensively in an engineering postgrad.
    A smaller set of them will be used in industry simply because you will have fewer licenses available to you. Look at companies that do R&D. In particular the BioMed area.
    Undergrad, not looking to go back to college. I feel I've had my fill. Will look into what you suggest at home and abroad and hopefully something will tickle my fancy.
    Red Alert wrote: »
    Is there a way to market those skills to software development firms I wonder though?
    That's what I was thinking? I mean do I need to set up a portfolio of example projects I've completed where I've used the programs or what?

I suppose I'd better talk to my lecturers, they'd probably be able to point me in the right direction, cheers for the replies lads (or ladettes) .

Advertisement