Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firefox & Boards SLOW to death

• 29-09-2010 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭

What's gone wrong with [my] Firefox and Boards.ie?

For the last few weeks boards.ie has been a slow crawl at best for me, it's got worse and is almost impossible to use.

As I have other browsers and other computers, it's become clear that it is a major Firefox 3:6:10 issue ~ either the release or an add-on, like ad block or something, I don't know.

All my pages takes a long time to refresh and I am getting the time out exemption, if I hit refresh repeatedly I can sometime speed things up, but sometimes it only makes the error message permanent.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I'm running 3.6.10 myself and have not noticed any slowdown.
    Is your problem only with boards.ie? That sounds very strange. Is it having problems downloading the page or rendering it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Downloading, it renders fine. I have at least a six second delay at best, it used to be instant with the odd delay at times.

Board.ie is where I see it most.

So if it;s downloading rather rendering that would seem to indicate it's not a browser issue.

I would do a host lookup for boards to see how long that takes. Might be there is a DNS lookup issue. If that is not slow the next step would be trying to ping to see what happens. If all that is good try a simple wget on the main boards page and see how long that takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭minion35

Hi, I had a similar problem with firefox on my ubuntu partition a few weeks ago, the soloution I found was to do the following:

Go to the address bar in firefox and type in:
    about:config

Enter and click "I'll be careful, I promise"

In the search bar on this page type in:
    ipv6

make sure that network.dns.disableIPV6 is set to false, unless you are using IPV6, hope this helps as it sorted a similar problem for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I second minion35's advice here.
    Worked for me.

• Advertisement

minion35 wrote: »
    make sure that network.dns.disableIPV6 is set to false, unless you are using IPV6, hope this helps as it sorted a similar problem for me.

I don't have a IPV6 string. ?

However, I put one in and put false in the only value I could change.

Boy, an instant improvement. :):):)

thanks for the feedback... that's good to know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 claireebuyer

Thank you for your post and for the subsequent replies. I'm unfortunately still experiencing a really slow load time on Firefox today, especially for Facebook and Twitter for some reason, and I've checked that network.dns.disableIPV6 is set to false, but it already was and it still got a slow issue :( any tips please?

Thank you for your post and for the subsequent replies. I

As you might see, I'm on Chrome.

I found my 'fixes' were only temporary. I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox 3.6 and all worked, but just for a while.

I installed Firefox 4 and got about a week out of that and yesterday just had to dump the thing.

Whatever is wrong is getting worse.

Chrome is flying ~ but it's a Google advertising magnet and that carries some pain. But Firefox has gone unusable totally. Now this issue is not new, my Firefox has been slow for ever, as opposed to other browsers, but when one starts to get the service unavailable, service unavailable ... I though it was boards being busy ~ well, Safari, Opera and Chrome prove otherwise, it's Firefox.

Thanks so much for your reply gbee, it sounds like it might be time to move over to Chrome permanently? I feel like I've been hanging onto Firefox because it's familiar, but I am getting really frustrated with it now!

I suppose my worry is that the layout of Chrome is pretty different from what I've seen initially, and that I'll be slower on Chrome that FF because I'm getting used to it!

Did it take you long to adapt? Or did you find that actually it was easy to get into after a short time using it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You got any toolbars?
    Get rid of them, all of them, especially that Google/Yahoo/Ask/Windows live one. They are all evil, all they do is spy on You and report back what pages You click.
    There are others that are really nasty, mywebsearch, conduit etc. These will cripple Your internet connection completely

Did it take you long to adapt? Or did you find that actually it was easy to get into after a short time using it?

At one time Firefox was out there with on their own. Chrome is very similar to FF and has most of the goodies like drag n drop links, spelling, moving around tabs and crash recovery.

It is still not as fully configurable as FF, I loved the tool bar customisation in FF so my only real issue is the refresh button way over to the left side in Chrome.

Actually the spelling is better in Chrome, I'd been having a US/UK English problem in FF too, not present in Chrome.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You got any toolbars? y

No, any that came in by stealth were deleted.

gbee wrote: »
    No, any that came in by stealth were deleted.

Uninstalled properly in firefox addons and/or Windows add/remove programs or just hidden by clicking the x on the toolbar? If the latter, they still function, You just don't see them

Uninstalled properly in firefox addons and/or Windows add/remove programs or just hidden by clicking the x on the toolbar? If the latter, they still function, You just don't see them

Add/Remove and checked the addons, no they are really gone.

Run MalwareBytes, it'll root out any nasties if You have any

Run MalwareBytes, it'll root out any nasties if You have any

been resident for years already. Thanks :) It is mighty.

At one time Firefox was out there with on their own. Chrome is very similar to FF and has most of the goodies..

Well this and the lure of no UK/US spelling issues is very tempting! I'm willing to give it a shot and hopefully lose some of the crashing issues and the 'oh this is embarrassing' messages from Firefox!

Really appreciate the feedback- good to know :o

been resident for years already. Thanks :) It is mighty.

Hopefully not the paid for MalwareBytes version that runs as a service in the tray, I've had major problems once with it causing slowness while browsing that went away when it was disabled. The free manual update and scan version is fine.

What Av are You using by the way?

What Av are You using by the way?

The Free MYB and Windows Defender, don't use AV otherwise.

• Advertisement

The Free MYB and Windows Defender, don't use AV otherwise.

Eh, no realtime protection? thats a little foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭minion35

Eh, no realtime protection? thats a little foolish.

Yeah I'd use Avast over any paid antivirus software ... Realtime scans, fast, reliable and includes a gaming mode.

Advertisement