Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sauze D'oulx for beginners?

Options
  • 29-09-2010 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi,

A group of 10 beginners are thinking of going to Sauze D'oulx but as far as I can see from the piste map there are really only reds instead of blues and the all important greens. The tour operator says they bring beginners to the Sportinia area to the nursery slopes. We really dont want a few nursery slopes and then nowhere to progress to apart from reds that we wont feel comfortable on.

Any help on this would be great.
    Tnx :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭NTC

I did my first trip there. There was wbout 15 of us, mix of adult and children.

The year we were there the snow was bad, but the blue/green runs were well maintained and we were going all the time.

I am thinking of going back this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 harrise

Great thanks NTC :).

Are the green and blue runs in a different area to Sauze D'Oulx? If we stay in Sauze would we get a bus to the other areas? When I looked at the map there were only blue and greens in the other areas beside Sauze.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭NTC

the greens zig-zap the bules into the forest walking paths and back out.

After two/three days in ski school you will be taking on the blues anyway. :D

AFAIK remember the free ski buss will take you to the other ski areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 harrise

Great thanks NTC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Sauze is a great resort with plenty for everyone. Like most resorts their piste grading leaves allot to be desired! Night life is cracking to. Famous ski quote from a bar in Lech: Tourist " God the reds here are much tougher than cortina last year" Bar Man "Thats because the Austrians are real men and the Italians are Pussy's"You will be fine and the instructors will take you to the terrain that suits you and buy them a beer and then get all the info form them. To many people get hung up on piste colours. A narrow shallow slope that stays in the shade all day could be classed as a red where the same slope in that is in the sun all day would be a green.There is a resort in France that has only one run b ack to the village that the have marked Green to attract beginners it is no more a green it is a red getting very close to black.There are allot of factors that dictate a slopes grading not just pitch.They are width, snow conditions. terrain changes, and the volume of traffic they get (Last one is important as it can create moguls etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Been here twice and was with beginners both times - they where flying around the end of the week so should be no problem to ya.

Big bonus about Sauze is the transfer, you'll be in the resort in about an hour if you’re bussing it - nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I went there in 2009, we were a group of mixed ability and everyone found something they enjoyed. Some cracking runs through the tree lined slopes of Sauze D'Oulx. They said it was the best snow they had in 20 years. They didn;t groom some of the runs, so we had to ski down with snow up to our hips in places. great fun.

Night life was a bit quiet.

We also jumped on a bus trip being organised by an english ski company which took us to Montgenevre. Thomson I think was the company. We didn't book our holiday with them, we just signed up for the trip and paid the money. They were more than happy to bring us along. Montgenevre must be higher up as it was above the tree line and the slopes were more open. If you go to Sauze D'Oulx I would definitely head over there for a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

I wouldn't recommend Sauze if you've nervous beginners... you've to get a chairlift up to the beginners slopes which can be quite daunting.

The year I was there we had crap snow and it does have a patchy record.

I learned to ski in Livigno, I know it's a long transfer (4.5hours) but there are loads of nice blues and one particularly nice long ones... only draw back is the 2 sides of the valley aren't linked...

Advertisement