Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney liner, joining different materials

Options
  • 29-09-2010 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Really need any thoughts\help on this one.

In order to accomadate a metal chimney valve in a chimney flue (passive house detail that I've no choice with) , I need to join a concrete cap and a regular flue liner.

I've been advised that because they are 2 different materials with 2 different expansion\contraction rates, that any rigid seal created (e.g. using fire cement) won't last very long once the stove is in use.

I have a fall back position which is to use a metal flue for the remaining 2 m of my chimney but due to their appallingly poor life span I am very reluctant to go that route.

Is there any material reasonably available here for sealing joints in a flue that stays flexible?

Any thoughts at all appreciated. This one really has me caught.

SAS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

There is a "flue seal" that you can buy in a silicone type aplicator tube, as i recall the sealant itself is a redish colour

edit: this is what i was referring to but it states its for use on non porus substrates, which rules out the regular flue :/

Advertisement