Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I really miss the act of going outside...

Options
  • 29-09-2010 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

I quit on thursday gone. I have fallen off the wagon twice, last night and Friday night. Last night I had 2, but they were in quick succession, and Friday night I had 1. Funnily enough, I had drink taken both nights, so my inhibitions were down. Maybe I should give up drink too, it might not lead to these indiscretions. Anyway, I am rambling so let me get to the point.

I really miss the act of going outside for the smoke. At home i always smoked outside, so it always broke up my day. Before going to cook, I would head out for a quick one. Once i finished watching something, I would go out for a quick one. Basically before I did something and after I finished something, I went and had one.

I am in the office today, for the first time since quitting, and I really miss my little journeys off for a smoke. It got me out of the office for about 10 mins and broke up the day.

I read most of Allen Carrs easy way, and quit cold turkey, and dont want to replace one crutch with another one, but is there anything I can do to satisfy my cravings for going outside?

I realise these cravings are a bundle of feelings wrapped into one. Habit, the memory of getting fresh(lol) air, getting away from the desk, a few minutes to your self, and of course the nicotine. If I really did just miss going outside, then going outside would solve it. Going outside doesn't satisfy it. You know why? Because its a nicotine craving in disguise.

I seem to be rambling again. Anyway, what I am trying to get to, is did anyone else feel this when giving up, and how did you cope with it?

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Im going through a bit of an Incredible Hulk serious rage moment. I have a meeting at 11 and was really quite hungry so went to the canteen and found they are serving my favorite dish. Except they dont open til 11. Grrr!

Then I went to find something to eat and all they had that I in any way fancied was a donut, so I got that and a cup of Tea. Only the tea is roasting hot and tastes awful.

And to add insult to injury, the feckin stopsmoking.ie website is down.

I can really see myself ripping something apart right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Deep breaths and will power! You want to give them up, this is the nicotine throwing it's weight around. THIS WILL PASS.

What's stopping you doing your little trips outside and NOT smoking?

Deep breaths and will power! You want to give them up, this is the nicotine throwing it's weight around. THIS WILL PASS.

What's stopping you doing your little trips outside and NOT smoking?

I am kind of afraid to go out in case I get a sudden urge. Practically 90% of the population smoke here, so there would be lots of people around doing it.

A friend asked me did I want to join him for a smoke break but I told him that I have quit.

Was in a foul mood all day, was really hungry in the morning, and now feel really weird. I feel like I have a fever, and I have a headache. Also feel a bit dizzy. Heading home now to sit on the couch and wait for it to pass.

Thanks for the support.

syklops wrote: »
    I am kind of afraid to go out in case I get a sudden urge. Practically 90% of the population smoke here, so there would be lots of people around doing it.

A friend asked me did I want to join him for a smoke break but I told him that I have quit.

Was in a foul mood all day, was really hungry in the morning, and now feel really weird. I feel like I have a fever, and I have a headache. Also feel a bit dizzy. Heading home now to sit on the couch and wait for it to pass.

Thanks for the support.

Ugh, I know exactly what you're going through. The good news is that it will get better . . . the bad news is that it may get worse before it gets better, but don't despair, come on here and have a rant/cry/rage whatever you like, we're all going through it together.

Im not having much in the way of cravings. Now and again I sort of remind myself that I should go and have one, and then re-remind myself that I cant/shouldn't, and then it is in my mind for about 5 mins. That said, yesterday, I physically felt awful. Cold Sweats, fever, aches, pains, and wrath of God-level fury. Today I feel ok. Had a great sleep(couple of large glasses of Whiskey going to bed helped). I was still tired in the morning, but once I woke up I felt rested, if you know what I mean.

Im starting a new job in 4 weeks time so hopefully the rage will have calmed down, and I will be on the road to coping with stress without needing to smoke. A couple of weeks later, I intend to join a Gym and start doing weights seriously. I have been doing a bit at home, but the feel of a gym should help better with the stress, and the anger, and should fill up the day more. Considering I smoked about 20 a day, and spent about 5 mins on each one, I now have about 100 extra minutes in the day, and 75 extra Czech crowns.

I am going to save the money that I have saved by not smoking and buy myself something nice. Im thinking either a flight jacket or a new laptop. The last time I bought a pack was last Wednesday, 7 days ago. A pack of Camel lights is about 75 crowns, so I have already saved 525 crowns which is about 21 euros. That's the one downside of cigarettes being cheap here: less of a saving. If I was at home, it would be closer to 60 quid saved.

I'll keep you posted on how I am doing. Its nice being able to write down exactly what I am going through but in a semi-anonymous manner.

• Advertisement

A guy was stood next to me earlier and I could smell the smell of fags off him. Bleurgh what an awful smell! Did I used to smell like that? Do I still smell like that?

Im going to wash all my jackets and tops when I get home. Still hardly anything in the way of cravings thank god. Do still feel a bit dodgy physically. Very bloated, and a weird sort of cold sweat feeling. Hopefully it will pass soon.

Yes, you used to smell that bad . . . but you don't anymore and I'd definitely agree with washing all your clothes, I did that when I was off the cigs a couple of weeks and it made a huge difference!

Yep, you'll go through the spectrum of emotions and general physical weirdness, just keep in mind that it's the evil nicotine leaving your system and trying to trick you into topping it back up!

Water, water, water :) oh and I found apples great too.

Keep it up you're doing great!

Im officially off them 1 week, though I did fall off the wagon twice.

Its great to be at this milestone.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

I do remember missing going outside. I gave up 9 months ago on Jan 1st 2010... and reading your original post reminded me.

... at the start I avoided the places I used to smoke but as time went on I actually just went outside and sat down and started enjoying them again. I still do just go outside to get some fresh air and have 2 mins to myself.

I was out last night and picked a pub that was non-smoking(a rare enough find over here). One of the things that I noticed was, I didnt get the urge to go out for a cigarette every five mins. When my friends went out for one I didn't want to go with them. Perhaps it is fortuitous that I am giving up at the start of Winter, as there was a real nip in the air last night, and the smoking area was particularly chilly and uninviting.

I have to say I was a little embarrassed for the many very attractive girls who around me. The reason I was embarrassed for them for a change was the smell. Perfume is a waste of money in my opinion as it doesn't cover the smell of the death sticks one iota.

Today I feel really good. No fever, no cold sweats, shakes are better than before, no weird mental feelings. Tummy is not right yet, but much better than yesterday. I sometimes feel that the nicotine is actually a sentient being and knows I am starving it, and it is coming up with things to get me back to smoking. I am remaining vigilant, as todays good feeling could be the calm before the coming of a storm of bad feelings. One last ditch effort to get me to smoke. Last cigarette was Monday night, about 100 hours ago. The 72 hours after were pretty bad, but like I said I am remaining vigilant.

One last little rant:

What is it with smokers putting down quitters? Is it the monster inside them wanting you to fail? Or is it jealousy? Or just natural human spite?

Last night one of my 'mates'(a 30 a day man), I think I am going to start using the term loosely for him from now one, asked me was I still off them. I said yep 8 days officially, though I fell off the wagon twice. And he said, when was your last cigarette, and I said Monday night. And he says "So your really only off them 4 days". WTF did he say that for? Hardly encouragement is it? And I think yes, I have been off them for 8 days. in that 8 days, 9 now, I had 3 smokes, versus the 160 I would normally have had in 8 days. A reduction of 97%. Another way of looking at it is. If I smoked on my 30th birthday, and then didnt smoke again until my 40th birthday, does that mean I have been a smoker for 10 years? No. Idiot.

Thanks to everyone for your support. I'll keep you updated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement