Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genital Herpes

Options
  • 28-09-2010 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Anyone willing to discuss the problems with having been diagnosed with Genital Herpes. Have been diagnosed by type specific blood test, (hard to find Doc who knows where to get this blood test done) Most importantly would desperately love to find a Dr who is familiar with antiviral meds who would put me on supressive therapy, I have 2 outbreaks per month, my life is miserable. Been to several Drs they tell you its rampant in the country, but nobody treats it properly, it's not included in a standard STD check!!! No real online info, except on US MEDhelp site, but no practical help in Ireland. the social and mental impact of this virus is devastating??:confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 badbeat

Hello Avkeskie,

As soon as I saw your post I said to myself I bet theres no replies.! Then I checked and of course I was right.
    Such a taboo subject and the funny part is that probably a fith of the users of boards has it lol. Its been established that in the USA 1 in 5 I think it is has it. It has also been established that a significant number of people who have it "don't know" they have it!.

I am male and have had it for many years and did not realize untill recently that you could pass it on when you are not experiencing an outbreak. Worse still I have just found out that using a condom will not totally protect from infecting others as it can be passed on simply by skin to skin contact.

Fortunately for me my outbreaks are extremely rare maybe one in two or three years.

Now I know what I know and have a conscience I dont know quite what to do as I am a single person who still wants intimacy with a female...Tricky one isn't it !!cool.gif

Hi Avkeskie,
    Well here we are again many days and 269 views (many of which have herpes lol) later and still no one wants to talk. Told ya!. Its just so taboo, quite unbelievable isn't it! Even I who is a regular contributer to Boards had to change my username to post on this thread.
    Why, why, why is it so :confused: Its so amazing isn't it.
    I mean you can find loads of references and discussions on
    Gays,
    religion,
    Aids (which can kill you)
    and the worst of all...Bankers:eek:, yes Avkeskie, we are worse than Bankers:eek: can you believe that lol. MyGod. I think I'l just go out to the back shed and shoot myself now.
    Shall have to leave a note though, what will I say:confused: I know.."To those that knew me do not mourne my passing. I simply was not good enough to walk umongst you. For what you did not know was ..that I had herpes:eek:. Yes thats right, the lowest of the low. Not even fit enought to be burried in the same graveyard as dead bankers. So please do what you will with my body. I suggest Richard Branson might find a spot underneath the ship so on the next space flight he could just press a button and let me go and drift far far away into the universe where I can do no harm to anyone.lol.

Well its been good posting here because at least now I have the anwsere to my question regarding my conscience and sexual activity. You know what, if thats the attidude of the human race, they can't even be bothered to talk about it, then I don't care either. Its businees as normal, f**k it!,if you'll excuse the expression.

Have to say its been good to get it out so to speak lol.
    Doubt I'll be posting again,theres no one to talk to lol.

I wish you all the best Avkeskie. The only advice I can give you is that if you can try to live as stress free life as possible (bloody hard I know) but it does work for me. I thought back to when I get my attacks and it was when I was stressed. Stress whacks the imune system and then the herpes seems to erupt. I use a natural product called Echinecia. Small bottle of liquid and just a few drops into tiny amount of water. It did wonders for me.

Take care, I'm gone now...probably for ever.:D
    Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Me again.
    My apologies. Just tripped up on a thread where a guy is chatting about GF with Herpes. Trouble is I can't find it again. The reason I thought that no ones talking about it is when I use the search fascility and search the word 'herpes' only this posting comes up.
    Wheather I search the 'show threads' option or the 'show posts' option, this is all that comes up.
    Wish the search fascility could be better on here.
    I'll go off and try again..............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mlindsay215

To the OP:

I don't really understand what it is you're after.
    Could you specify exactly what it is you wish to know, is it in regards to different types of medication and/or treatment. Or is you're question in regards to the illness itself? Or are you looking for a Dr that specalises in STD, in which case the GUM clinic in Belfast would be you're best bet, I do however have several contacts who would be able to help you on this matter. All are registered G.Ps or specalist nurses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭TrustNoOne

I've had it for years...Things do greatly improve for you after a while

My advice would be to find out as much as you can about it. Don't waste your money on any on the online scams promising cures. Improve your diet and do regular exercise. Eat fresh fruits and veg and cut down on sugar...Give up smoking if you do. Aerobic exercise, such as a 30 minute run 3x a week is absolutely essential. Basically, just do all the things you should be doing, and your immune system will be strong.

This has been a blessing in disguise for me, by improving my general health to beat this disease I have gotten into great shape and will probably live longer.

The only time I get outbreaks now is when I go on the occasional all night drink binge, with little sleep and smoke a box of fags while I'm at it. A few drinks is fine, but overdoing it will trigger an outbreak. I know for a fact if I never had another bender again I'd never get another outbreak. But I'm prepared for that...I used to get it on my cock...but for some strange reason I only get them on my upper left ass cheek these days, which is far more tolerable.

I do use valacyclovir when I feel an outbreak coming on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 scaffrey82

I have herpes type II... Im not sure how it was detected in a blood test as I was advised it can only be diagnosed from a swab from the actual outbreak... I have it 10 years and I was put on suppression tablets called Valtrex which worked wonders for me... but because its so expensive the hospital asked me to come off it and see how I get on without it... I have an outbreak every month and not only in the genital area, on my thigh and on the side of my torso. Im planning a baby now with my long term boyfriend of 8 years and im concerned that the herpes is going to affect our chances of conceiving given i have so many out breaks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭TrustNoOne

scaffrey82 wrote: »
    I have herpes type II... Im not sure how it was detected in a blood test as I was advised it can only be diagnosed from a swab from the actual outbreak... I have it 10 years and I was put on suppression tablets called Valtrex which worked wonders for me... but because its so expensive the hospital asked me to come off it and see how I get on without it... I have an outbreak every month and not only in the genital area, on my thigh and on the side of my torso. Im planning a baby now with my long term boyfriend of 8 years and im concerned that the herpes is going to affect our chances of conceiving given i have so many out breaks...

Go back on the valtrex, concieve, then have a caesarian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 henrikstongue

avkeskie wrote: »
    Anyone willing to discuss the problems with having been diagnosed with Genital Herpes. Have been diagnosed by type specific blood test, (hard to find Doc who knows where to get this blood test done) Most importantly would desperately love to find a Dr who is familiar with antiviral meds who would put me on supressive therapy, I have 2 outbreaks per month, my life is miserable. Been to several Drs they tell you its rampant in the country, but nobody treats it properly, it's not included in a standard STD check!!! No real online info, except on US MEDhelp site, but no practical help in Ireland. the social and mental impact of this virus is devastating??:confused:

Have been diagnosed by type specific blood test, (hard to find Doc who knows where to get this blood test done)

hi - just came across this thread - where in ireland did you get specific igG blood test done - how you getting on now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 avkeskie

To the OP:

I don't really understand what it is you're after.
    Could you specify exactly what it is you wish to know, is it in regards to different types of medication and/or treatment. Or is you're question in regards to the illness itself? Or are you looking for a Dr that specalises in STD, in which case the GUM clinic in Belfast would be you're best bet, I do however have several contacts who would be able to help you on this matter. All are registered G.Ps or specalist nurses.
    There is no help here maybe in the North there is, the attitude is we don't test for it its so common and you won't die from it so. The absolute ignorance of HSV here is stunning, one Dr confused HSV with HPV another said I would get immune to antivirals like it was an antbiotic. I kept trying and found a Dr who put me on supressive therapy, he told me the school of thought here is not to use supressive therapy. In other countries it's assumed that if outbreaks are too frequent and painful or the person is suffering mentally, then daily antivirals is way to go. Plus more importantly, the studies in the US have shown that antivirals taken daily also reduce viral shedding, meaning the risk of passing it on inbetween outbreaks is signifigantly lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 avkeskie

TrustNoOne wrote: »
    Go back on the valtrex, concieve, then have a caesarian?
    Herpes wont affect your ability to conceive but can be passed to baby during birth, agree go back on valtrex or even try zovirax cost should not be reason find another dr, one OB per month is too much, you may pass it on to your partner if he don't already have it! You can always have C section. Check this site for more info http://www.westoverheights.com/index.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement