Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog chewed threw Sky box wires!!!

Options
  • 28-09-2010 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭

FFS i go away for a couple days come back my sky is gone dog chewed threw wires that are out back around side my house.

First off does anyone know a decent fairly priced Satelite installer that could maybe do a job on this for me??

Also do ya s reckon the whole set of wires from box to the dish are gonna have to be changed now??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭cauliflower69

You "can" just join the wires the externally for a cheap fix and tape over the join with amalgamated tape.

I would suggest a new run though

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Use twist on F-connectors and F- barrels

Do not attempt any other kind of repair
    ______   _______   ____
    ______]=[_______]=[____
    existing   Fresh    existing
    cable       cable    Cable

] and [ F-connectors (larger centre hole type for sat cable, not small centre hole for skinny cable TV patch cords)
    = Barrel (double ended F-Socket with nut shape in middle) AKA "joiners"

If there is enough slack after cutting off chewed bits, then you may not need to add fresh coax in the middle (satellite coax, not cheap rubbish fishnet braid) and save one Barrel and two connectors.

Tape over with "Rubber" tape (self amalgamating tape, sold in Maplin and also in package with cloth tape for pipe emergency repairs in DIY/Hardware stores). PVC tape won't keep out rain.

No need then for fresh runs of cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Assuming you have 2 damaged cables, you will need 8 f connectors, 4 f joiners, a couple of metres of satellite cable and amalgamating tape.
    Carefully inspect the run of both cables looking for any damage from the mutt's fangs.
    Replace the whole damaged section. Carefully apply the self-amalgamating tape.
    Try the supplier sticky at the top of this thread for reputable installers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

dog chewed threw wires

Clever enough dog, to be able to throw the wires after chewing them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

hows the dog? Did (s)he get a shock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ok problem is i forgot to mention he chewed threw the second wire for the hd box the wire i put in myself digital cable wire is fine. The other wire i take it is different wire as i just joined digital wire up and connected it and still no siginal.

So do i need some kind of hd wire?? Sorry never messed around with the wiring on a hd box before :P

Ok not to worry i fixed it turns out when i climbed up on roof there was enough cable to bring bit extra down thank **** lol and ya the dog is grand i didnt kill him yet :-) haha

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

through

Advertisement