Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Plastering

Options
  • 28-09-2010 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hello,

I want to plaster the external of my new 2 storey house. I fitted the windows and scudded most of the house about a year ago. We couldnt reach the top of the gables.

Im wondering does the the fact that the scudding is done for so long make any difference?

Is it allright to plaster at this time of the year as there is a touch of frost already at night, and it wont be very warn for drying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

There is no problem plastering at this time of year, once you dont get frost, and the frost will only affect the plaster once it is wet. You can also get a frost proofer admix, bit personaly ive never put it into the plaster as i simply aviod plastering when i expect bad frost.

The blocks will be bone dry, so make sure you turn the hose to the wall and wet the walls down well so that it doesnt dry out too quickly and make it more difficult to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 gouch

Thanks snyper for your reply.

I have my scaffolding up now and intend to get the scudding on the gable tops finished this evening.

How long should the scudding be left to dry before scratching. As I said earlier, most of the house is scudded for about a year.

How long should the scratch coat be left to dry before finishing.

I am going with white walls and grey reveals and coins. I am using normal grey sand.

I have just got a load of sand so no worries about using dirty sand.

I have a rusty barrel for holding the water from when the blocks were done. Would water out of this barrel be ok for plastering or would it bring out rust stains through the plaster.

Advertisement