Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryder Cup Betting

Options
  • 28-09-2010 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭

Looking at the odds for holing winning putt and it is very poor.

24 players so 23/1 is the no loss bet.

I checked PP and they have come back with avg odds of around 19/1

ranging from 14/1 to 25/1

That is poor form

Bet365 nearly 22/1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

There's a good chance it won't be any of the early 2 balls on Sunday so you could narrow your choices down.
    Not the same but Boyles have a Money Back Special - if an Irishman holes the winning putt - refund losing single bets Outright & Correct score.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭Trampas

but the odds will change as days pass through but I thought with no idea on who will play where and what score it is going to be I find them been a bit tight. 21.5/22 is what I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

You expect them to take 4% margin on a 24 runner field?!

They've priced up a 120% book which is fair enough imo considering the market in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭ValueSeeker

Use a bit of logic to beat the odds, as ever.

Europe for me are overwhelming favourites and will win by a few points IMO. The winning putt is therefore likely to be holed in about match 7,8 or 9 maybe 10 in the singles on Sunday. Match 7,8 or 9 IMO is likely to have the stronger/strongest players from each team (or should do if Monty has any sense).

Therefore if I were back that market, I'd narrow the field down to the top 6 players in the European side and dutch 3 or 4 of those.

The Ryder cup on the whole doesn't look to be the best value around but I have found a few decent markets IMO - Ryder Cup Betting

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭ValueSeeker

Use a bit of logic to beat the odds, as ever.

Europe for me are overwhelming favourites and will win by a few points IMO. The winning putt is therefore likely to be holed in about match 7,8 or 9 maybe 10 in the singles on Sunday. Match 7,8 or 9 IMO is likely to have the stronger/strongest players from each team (or should do if Monty has any sense).

Therefore if I were back that market, I'd narrow the field down to the top 6 players in the European side and dutch 3 or 4 of those.

The Ryder cup on the whole doesn't look to be the best value around but I have found a few decent markets IMO - Ryder Cup Betting

I've just had a look at the market on Oddschecker. Compilers of unsurprisingly of the same thinking.

Taking into account what I said and going with the strongest players in terms of experience and ability, I'd dutch these players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ALTESSE12

16/1 for the highest points total any player 2.5 points or less?
    any thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭rossit

anyone reckon the us are over priced, dont know why but fancy them to cause a upset

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

Will be lumping on Europe but also like the look of Kaymer to be Europe's top point scorer a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ALTESSE12

US savage price...4 of the top 5 players in the world. . and the European in the top 5 (Westwood) having not being playing competatively for weeks..

Lump on the states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭eldrickwoods

Couldn't agree more lads. The US are too big a price. I have them as slight favs and 7/4 is a real value bet so I'll be having some of it.

anyone got any picks for tops points scorer. Will Jimenez play enough? If I thought he'd play 4 matches the 25/1 top Euro points scorer looks tidy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭RichieD

I agree with most of you, I have this pretty much a pick em.

Also I noticed betpack have a moneyback special for the tie, so worth throwing a few down on the U.S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

rossit wrote: »
    anyone reckon the us are over priced, dont know why but fancy them to cause a upset[/QUOTE

if Pavin has the balls not to rotate too much i think it's a 50/50 market, i would maybe play Bubba once in the doubles max,same with Fowler and i would leave Overton out alltogether,i think the Moli twins won't prove to be as formidable a pairing as people are saying,i would play them in both foursomes but i think any of the experienced u.s pairings would take them in the fourballs,i think they're too similar,i know 2 consistant players is also a good recipe in fourballs but if you put those 2 up against Phil and Stricker for e.g they just won't hole enough puts to win,no matter how many g.i.r's they hit,and they're lack of lengh is a negative in the fourballs also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

When are the pairings announced for tomorrow? I want to back whoever is playing Tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,901 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Warper wrote: »
    When are the pairings announced for tomorrow? I want to back whoever is playing Tiger.

should be within the next hr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

Going with America myself, 2.96 on Betfair, i reckon Tiger will surprise alot of folk and play well, hope he gets paired against McIlroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

Draw is 12/1.

Reckon US have slightly stronger team but Europe have home advantage so could be close!

we should be seeing the line ups this hour according to ssn

Stricker and Woods V Poulter & Fisher

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Righto, taken my time with this. I have decided on one bet throughout the week and that is Luke Donald top combined points scorer @ 16/1(now 12/1), his record in team events is brilliant tbf.

I'll be reverting back to match betting this year in which I did quite well in both 06 and 08. Namely in the Fourball and the Singles.

* After doing my homework for the last hour, I thought I'd share my opinion for the Fourballs tomorrow(two of them in some detail and two that I'll be brief with);

McIlroy and MacDowell vs Cink and Kuchar -
    I fully expect the Irish duo to come through tomorrow in the Fourball.
    Together they have a brilliant match play record. GMac also won the Welsh Open at the very same course this year so his course experience should prove more than helpful

Kuchar has had a brilliant season, but he admitted to being shattered last week at the Tour Championship so fatigue will surely play apart with him. I expect him to sit out the afternoon session for sure. His record in single matchplay isn't great. Therefore Cink will have to play a pivotal role if the US want to get something out of this, he hasn't impressed me this season overall but he's a plucky customer and can grind out results especially in Fourball in which he is undefeated.

I really can't see past the Irish lads as already said, so 5/6 for them to win their match looks like a great bet.

Harrington and Donald vs Overton and Watson
    Fourball is the only game type I'd play Padraig in. He has been massively inconsistent in his game yet somehow has churned out numerous top 10's all season. The guy for the most part is a birdie machine, but has the odd hiccup or two during a the tournament which has cost him. Matchplay will play into his hand especially Fourball as he'll have Donald to back him up when he gets in a mess. I'm confident Harrington will make a lot of birdies though.

Donald's record in Ryder Cup is fairly awesome to say the least. 83% result rate(includes ties). His Walker Cup record is 7-1 Win-Loss record which more than brilliant. A real fairways and greens man. He'll steady the ship as mentioned above.

For the US... we start with THE Bubba Watson. He's an utter lunatic but is immensely entertaining. Like a few of the of the US Team, he's an all or nothing type player who will go for everything.

Overton meanwhile went through a very good run of form despite not winning during the summer up until the last Major. Since then he has been fairly quiet and many see him as the overall weak player out off all the players. Harsh as it is, based on form alone I'd agree.

To be brief with the other two matches now and admittedly I find them both very hard to call unlike the above two. I do think the US will win one point and the spoils will be shared probably in the other match, in the morning session I mean

Poulter and Fisher vs Stricker and Woods
    Stricker and Woods were magnificent in the Presidents Cup last year. They won 4 our 4 points in the Fourball and Foursomes then and I really won't be surprised if this pairing plays 4 times together this week. Fisher and Poulter are very good friends and have played together in Vivendi Cup and World Cup as well, they have a fairly good record too.

Westwood and Kaymer vs Mickelson and D. Johnson
    Westwood has me worried in the opening match. I'm sure he's been practicing and what not but he's been laid off with injury for sometime now. You just don't walk back into the competitive sport and everything clicks, there has been the odd exception but I can't see it for Lee(hope I'm proved wrong). Kaymer will need to step it up tomorrow me thinks cause Johnson and Mickelson I imagine will make birdies galore. That is in Pavin's thinking when pairing these two, get out there, make a damn lot of birdies and get red on the table. Make a statement. It's either pure genius or stupidity, we'll see in a few hours time :D

Double - Donald and Harrington + McIlroy and GMac to win @ 2/1
    Accum above - (Mickelson drawing and Tiger winning) @ 31/1
    Score prediction - Europe 2.5 - 1.5 USA @ 4/1

I won't have anything big on this week. My Donald bet is as big as it gets, only 10 euro on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

All the draws around 6.6 on betfair so backing them all in singles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Why should we expect the bookmakers to give anything approaching the true odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

Happy enough with the US bet now, they're 5/4 in places now, long way to go i know but my bet was for sheer interest.

Advertisement