Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No satellite signal received error number 28

Options
  • 28-09-2010 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I getting an intermittent fault on the box - it shows up as no signal received (number 28, sometimes 25 in teh top right corner) - this happens for 5-10 seconds then the signal sometimes comes back on, although very heavily distorted - and it only happens on specific channels.

I've gone through all the reset , upgrade procedures with SKY , turned on and off the LNB .

Now they want €100 to have someone look at the HD Box .:(

Any ideas ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

You say its an intermittent problem so I would suggest checking all the connection on the back of the box.

What type of skybox do you have, and what is its signal level.

If its a standard box or old style skyplus you can check this by pressing services
    then no 4 then no 6

If signal strenght is low you will need to get some1 to re-align it or you can always try it yourself. List where your from Local installers are usually much cheaper than skys €100 call out fee...

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Hi steveon, It started as an intermittent problem , but its all the time now . Its a HD box and I have rte, tv3 but when I get as far as sky my channels are borked.

I have multiroom and the other box is fine with no signal problems , I have disconnected ALL connections on the box and reconnected it with no success .

based in Swords .

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Anyone in Dublin that could help ??

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭cauliflower69

I assume that sky have have gone threw the rig marole of factory reset with you on the phone etc.

Sounds like you box will be replaced.

You could threaten to cancel and see where that gets you

I assume that sky have have gone threw the rig marole of factory reset with you on the phone etc.

Sounds like you box will be replaced.

You could threaten to cancel and see where that gets you

Yeah , went through the whole process twice last night , I'm out of warranty , Any idea what they will charge ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭stanley1

sounds like your power supply is gone, have a look in adverts.ie for a sky box, you will need to ring sky and get your card matched with new box.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Bosch

Hi folks,
    I'm having this exact problem over the past week or so... i.e. some of our channels just won't display, with the "No satellite signal is being received" error (with the error code 28)... e.g. we get this error for channels 106-111, 127, 130, and many others. On a few other channels, the picture is all pixelated and usually freezes after a few seconds. :-/

I initially suspected that our (now out-of-warranty) SkyHD box was at fault, but I then saw that we have the exact same issue on our other Sky+ box (multiroom box upstairs)... so I suspect it's the feed from our dish... could it be that it has moved slightly and got misaligned?

I did the usual ringing of Sky tech support last evening and she said they'd had quite a number of similar reports from customers... however, although we went through some procedures (rebooting, disabling/re-enabling Anytime TV, rebuilding the EPG, etc.) nothing worked and she told me that an engineer would need to come out and look at it, for a 100 Euros call-out fee... crazy.

I had a look at the signal levels myself afterwards on the SkyHD box, and see that "Input 1" is dead, with no signal reported... presumably all the dead channels should be coming through on that one?!

Anyone know a good TV/satellite repairman in the north Wicklow area, who would sort this for me, for less than an exhorbitant 100 Euros? Any contact names/numbers would be great!

Thanks!
    B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

sharkman wrote: »
    Hi steveon, It started as an intermittent problem , but its all the time now . Its a HD box and I have rte, tv3 but when I get as far as sky my channels are borked.

I have multiroom and the other box is fine with no signal problems , I have disconnected ALL connections on the box and reconnected it with no success .

based in Swords .

So what is the make of the HD box?

And what is the signal quality/strength showing for each feed?

Have you tried:

Disable Sky Anytime: Turn it off, if you don't use it.
    http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/finding-and-recording-programmes/temporarily-disable-sky-anytime/

Planner Rebuild:

You can do this via the installer menu which can be accessed by pressing 'Services 0 0 1 Select' in quick succession, and then selecting planner rebuild.

System Reset:

You can do this via the installer menu which can be accessed by pressing 'Services 0 0 1 Select' in quick succession, and then selecting system reset. Note: this will delete any recordings!!

Forced software update:

Switch off the receiver at the mains wall socket, wait 2 minutes. Then Press and hold the front control panel "backup" button and switch the mains power back on. Continue to hold the button for 20 seconds or until the LEDs all light up on the front panel. As soon as this happens, you'll see a message on the screen, so leave the receiver for at least 15 minutes to download the software via satellite. Note: you might also want to consider a planner rebuild after this.

Please note, I am not an installer or anything, but these are tips which have helped me out in the past.

Good Luck !!

eddiem74 wrote: »

Have you tried:

Disable Sky Anytime: Turn it off, if you don't use it.
    http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/finding-and-recording-programmes/temporarily-disable-sky-anytime/

Planner Rebuild:

You can do this via the installer menu which can be accessed by pressing 'Services 0 0 1 Select' in quick succession, and then selecting planner rebuild.

System Reset:

You can do this via the installer menu which can be accessed by pressing 'Services 0 0 1 Select' in quick succession, and then selecting system reset. Note: this will delete any recordings!!

Forced software update:

Switch off the receiver at the mains wall socket, wait 2 minutes. Then Press and hold the front control panel "backup" button and switch the mains power back on. Continue to hold the button for 20 seconds or until the LEDs all light up on the front panel. As soon as this happens, you'll see a message on the screen, so leave the receiver for at least 15 minutes to download the software via satellite. Note: you might also want to consider a planner rebuild after this.

Please note, I am not an installer or anything, but these are tips which have helped me out in the past.

Good Luck !!

Yep , did all these , but still the same !:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

My signal went as well and of course they wanted to charge me € 100 to fix also. Told them to put them through to cancellations as i wasn't giving them € 100 euro when if they fixed it for free they would continue to get € 800 annually from me. We settled on a new dish, new sky plus box all for a whopping € 29 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

sharkman wrote: »
    Yep , did all these , but still the same !:(

My signal went as well and of course they wanted to charge me € 100 to fix also. Told them to put them through to cancellations as i wasn't giving them € 100 euro when if they fixed it for free they would continue to get € 800 annually from me. We settled on a new dish, new sky plus box all for a whopping € 29 ;)

This might be the best solution, although always a risk if they in fact let you cancel.

Advertisement