Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Bed Dormer - possible and ideas

Options
  • 28-09-2010 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi We are looking at building in the west and really want a 5 bed house - approx 2800sq ft, so big enough. With council input and restrictions on sightlines and been seen from other areas ( we are fairly high up) our architect is saying that the best house type for us would be a dormer bungalow. I am fine with this once we get the space we want, are we going to be very restricted in height upstairs with a dormer , with the roof height at about 45degrees. Will we get 4 doubles upstairs and a bathroom and the rooms we want downstairs?THe architect thinks it will be very hard to get all teh rooms upstairs we want with this type of house Has anyone built a 5 bed dormer or ideas of how we can get what we want with the restrictions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭beyondpassive

Would your architect not do a series of sketches illustrating a range of options. Good design is about forging a appropriate solution through difficult constraints. Are you sure you have a designer on board, or just the local plans guy? after all most architects think with a pen in hand, and can always come up with a solution, however unorthodox.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭podgee

ClareLady, we have just got planning in Dublin for a 2880 square foot dormer. It's a 5 bed, smallest of which is 16 square metres. I don't know the roof angle, but the rooms at the front all have standard height ceilings (8'). Rooms at the back have sloping ceilings the lowest point is 1.4m. Hope this helps.

P

• Registered Users Posts: 39 clarelady

just pmd you there P

thanks for reply, yeah our architect has done up some preliminary drawings but doesnt meet our room need (he is a proper architect) but maybe its early days on them

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are you totally against 3up/2down for the bedrooms? It's another option is there are significant heigt restrictions and you really want 5 rooms

Yeah i suppose we could live with that if we had to , but i already want a good few rooms downstairs so would be afraid it might become bottom heavy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

No chance of story and a half? More traditional looking than a dormer and thought this was the way some councils were going in rural design.
    That would give you a few more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

have built a 5 bed dorma with 2 of the bedrooms downstairs. I have the drawings somewhere if you wnt them pm'd?

not sure about a storey and a half , dont think its an option , architect said we are too visible from surrounding area and thinks that clare co co would shoot it down. Mooderator , that would be great if you could thanks, give us some ideas then thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

podgee wrote: »
    ClareLady, we have just got planning in Dublin for a 2880 square foot dormer. It's a 5 bed, smallest of which is 16 square metres. I don't know the roof angle, but the rooms at the front all have standard height ceilings (8'). Rooms at the back have sloping ceilings the lowest point is 1.4m. Hope this helps.

P

very simliar size dorma, but how do you pm jpg's?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Use email. Its best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

clarelady wrote: »
    Hi We are looking at building in the west and really want a 5 bed house - approx 2800sq ft, so big enough. With council input and restrictions on sightlines and been seen from other areas ( we are fairly high up) our architect is saying that the best house type for us would be a dormer bungalow. I am fine with this once we get the space we want, are we going to be very restricted in height upstairs with a dormer , with the roof height at about 45degrees. Will we get 4 doubles upstairs and a bathroom and the rooms we want downstairs?THe architect thinks it will be very hard to get all teh rooms upstairs we want with this type of house Has anyone built a 5 bed dormer or ideas of how we can get what we want with the restrictions.

I don't believe you'll get 4 doubles upstairs in that footprint. We worked on one in Loughrea Co Galway a while ago, which with similar proportions, it got 3doubles upstairs (one with ensuite and walk-in wardrobe), large 'hotpress', bathroom, one bedroom downstairs, but still very generous Sitting, Living and Kitchen, along with Utility and downstairs WC/Shower room. Getting a 4th bedroom in that footprint upstairs, would have added the same amount to the ground floor, which would increase the size of the house a lot.

Finding space for stairs and landings doesn't help.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement