Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warhammer Online

Options
  • 28-09-2010 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Anyone still playing? I played for a month on release and had really high hopes as I was a DAoC addict for many years. I found it quite disappointing at the time and canceled my subs. Ive been looking for an mmo recently ater playing around with AoC again, and Aion. I tried the free trial with Warhammer and I must say I was very impressed... the game seems to have improved a lot and the pvp is excellent so far (only lvl12 though). Defintely worth trying again if like me you are in MMO limbo!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

I played it about 6 months ago , I might have enjoyed it if I had some one playing with me !!!! I was the same as you in limbo, I even opened my AoC account as well xD. Then I did it , I tried WoW and that was a super disappointment again, I have actually yet to get a char past 34.
    I even tried DAoC again, the Ywain cluster is packed at the moment, but you still get the feeling its going to die, I liked how they brought across the EU chars to the american servers, Got to play my bard again xD. But its a different game now entirely and to hard to solo in high pop.

So I guess I am in limbo again :( , I am palying Eve... but once you start you never realllllly stop playing, its just it has its on nights and off nights when ****s happening !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

GO_Bear wrote: »
    I played it about 6 months ago , I might have enjoyed it if I had some one playing with me !!!! I was the same as you in limbo, I even opened my AoC account as well xD. Then I did it , I tried WoW and that was a super disappointment again, I have actually yet to get a char past 34.
    I even tried DAoC again, the Ywain cluster is packed at the moment, but you still get the feeling its going to die, I liked how they brought across the EU chars to the american servers, Got to play my bard again xD. But its a different game now entirely and to hard to solo in high pop.

So I guess I am in limbo again :( , I am palying Eve... but once you start you never realllllly stop playing, its just it has its on nights and off nights when ****s happening !

Ywain is pretty packed most nights since the supercluster.. but solo is pretty much dead..
    It's mainly labby and zerg warfare (with 8 man's on the island)..

Made 120K Rp's last night :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have actually yet to get a char past 34

Well in fairness you havent even come anywhere near to scratching the surface yet so.

Welease wrote: »
    Ywain is pretty packed most nights since the supercluster.. but solo is pretty much dead..
    It's mainly labby and zerg warfare (with 8 man's on the island)..

Made 120K Rp's last night :)

Labby was fun when we ran a 8 man hunter group and camped an alcove, but now, when your solo or even in a mini grp like 3 hunters or visuals, its tough :/ very tough.

Oh and while in MMO limbo I tried APB , I actually had a lot of fun and really really liked it , then they went bust and closed the servers :(

Thats what happens to people who deviate from the WoW template , meanwhile people who follow it die a slow and painful death, servers slowly wasting away etc etc , If you ask me , WAR woulda been good if .....
    • They had 3 realms from the start (adding Skaven now is too little too late)
    • Make it possible to inteurpt spells by just attacking the Caster (If a spellcaster is in range of a melee class it deserves to die or be inteurpted)
    • Make crowd control integral to the RvR mechanics
    • More than 5 in a group ( it was 5 wasn't it ? )
    • More classes - I realise this is tough when basing the game on a already written story

And there are some others.

Thats not to say WAR was bad, some things I actually really liked about it was ...
    • The very diverse Classes and races, I know the mechanics where mirrored i.e Witch Hunter and witchelf are DPS classes with the same mechanic, but they felt very very different to play ( not to mention WH looked awesome !!!)
    • Realms did not share classes
    • The Public quests and Each zone had a little RvR area ( albeit only good when it was populated at launch )
    • Class design , I am probably repeating , but I always did like the WAR lore , and the Warrior Priest and Witch Hunter were just as I would imagine them after the books.
    • Only 40 levels , then the rest is realm levels
    • Plenty quests , Unlike DAoC (which I still love but good leveling was atrocious), not having to grind every day
    • Some more **** I cannot think off !

Another long winded post , I guess I am waiting for my research to do itself :(

Dcully wrote: »
    Well in fairness you havent even come anywhere near to scratching the surface yet so.

True , I might give it another chance when I have time, It certainly is the MMO with the most money and effort put into the development , the sheer size and styles of zones is testiment.

But is the PvP really any good ? I have never been a fan of instanced PvP, or Arena style combat. But if it is good I might like it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

In my opinion wow pvp sucks since battlegrounds but a hell of a lot of people love it.
    World pvp is fun but nobody bothers with it as theres nothing to be gained from it really,people prefer to farm battlegrounds etc.
    I play wow for its PVE 100%, i love raiding.
    Honestly the game only really starts when you hit 80.
    However if your primarily a pvp player id stick with WAR, AOC or Aion.
    For pve its wow everytime for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Im playing on Karak Azgal atm as order. Just playing around with different classes before I decide to stick with one. Defo going to be playing it fir the foreseeable future as I'm really enjoying it. Server pop seems fine and they seem to be evolving the game really well. I have a friend who is going to start playing full time this week too but don't really know anyone else in game. I think there are or were a lot of ex DAoC excal players on this server so bound to run into some old faces at the higher levels! Feel free to join us m8 if are bored of eve! Just drop me a line here and I can let u know what char I'm playing.

I think I have a 35 or so Witch Hunter there ! Might do

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

I quit WAR just over a year ago. How has the game changed since then?

The reason I quit was due to the direction the game was taking then. It didn't know if it was a PVE or PVP game. The PVE element back then was a lame comparison to WOW which is definetly the defacto leader in PVE raiding. Crafting was pants. The PVP back then was focused on capturing Keeps, Fortesses and the god awful city raids.

The open world combat was very good fun, and I enjoyed quite a lot of the battlegrounds. But the city, and fortress raids became a pain, and just not enjoyable. I'm curious to know where the game is at right now. I had a lvl 40 shaman on Karak Azgal (think that's right) and was in The Dragon Fighters guild back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Necron99

Well EA did give the WAR project over to the Bioware division, don't know how much of the A-team is now working on it, haven't played it myself in a year due to being on a Ghost server and Mythic doing what they did in DAoC... "Oh look at me I'm an Ostrich, oh look some sand *muffle muffle*!", best me and my brother saw was maybe one other Destro player while out about looking for fights.

Loved the PVP concept in the game and the zealot is so far one of my all time favorite MMO arch types, a healer who can actually fight :D
    Same along the lines of the Disciple of Khaine a melee healer.

Anyone know if BW have done any major improvements or the like or is it just EA told them to take it over and there keeping it on a simmer while baking the SWToR cake?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

From what I've heard through several sources, Bioware have fixed a large chunk of the issues that have hounded WAR since its' launch. I haven't played it myself since I stopped, but they fixed a large part of the lag/fps issues and evened out the leveling aspects (merging starter zones into one per faction for example) and have immeasureably improved on the original game. Of course, as is often the case with MMOs, most people wont give Warhammer the benefit of the doubt and thus it will just continue to decline into obscurity.

I choose to believe, however, that its' death will serve a greater purpose in the MMO universe by making sure that SWToR is even better thanks to the lessons learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Well population doesnt seem to be an issue on my server Karak Azgal. Lots of people around in Tier 1 due to the endless trial. Basically you can sign up for free and play forever up until level 11. The game seems to flow much better and I havent experienced any lag. Although I cant really say what the end game is like as I have leveled a few chars to level 11 to get a feel for the different classes and game mechanics rathe than power leveling through 50. Must say that I have been really impressed so far and anyone thinking of trying it out again should as it aint going to cost you anything. They are also introducing a massive free RvR pack which is going to completely overhaul the RvR system and introduce the Skaven as 3rd faction/playable race. Not too sure on all the details but there is loads on the WAR website + forums about it if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Due to the mechanics of the open world PvP(aka RvR) in WAR, it always turns into a zerg v zerg affair. Not fun.
    Small group encounters are a lot of fun, but very difficult to reliably find.
    The instanced PvP can be good, but there are too many pubstomps.

There is no dueling system, but players organise events through mIRC and the forums to set times and locations for their duels which is a pretty cool experience. Even players from opposite factions do this.

Can't say I enjoyed Aion PvP much, but I did enjoy the group instances.
    Don't really know much about Aoc, but I remember the PvP being completely broken for a while. I'm sure it's balanced a bit better now though.

For true PvP, Darkfall is the only way forward(fanboy).

edit: Might actually jump on for a bit of WAR, it's been a while.

Da Bounca wrote: »
    Due to the mechanics of the open world PvP(aka RvR) in WAR, it always turns into a zerg v zerg affair. Not fun.
    Small group encounters are a lot of fun, but very difficult to reliably find.
    The instanced PvP can be good, but there are too many pubstomps.

Well if you played DAoC you will remember the first 2 years where zergfests also , the game just happened to evolve into groups looking for 8vs8 and not adding. However I think WAR should have a higher group limit for this
    There is no dueling system, but players organise events through mIRC and the forums to set times and locations for their duels which is a pretty cool experience. Even players from opposite factions do this.

Was never a fan of dueling :( I prefer team combat. Don't get me wrong 1vs1's can be fun tho.

Can't say I enjoyed Aion PvP much, but I did enjoy the group instances.
    Don't really know much about Aoc, but I remember the PvP being completely broken for a while. I'm sure it's balanced a bit better now though.

Have not played Aion so cannot comment , and did not get high level in AoC ( 49 I think was my highest ) , I just remember at the AoC launch playing on a PvP server and man that was a cluster f*ck !

For true PvP, Darkfall is the only way forward(fanboy).

I am intrigued by Darkfall , I do not know a whole lot about it.
    How much is it ?
    Is it laggy?
    Do many people play it ?
    I was under the impression the main type of combat was siege/zerg warfare

edit: Might actually jump on for a bit of WAR, it's been a while.

I actually might do as well : > have a sudden urge to make a Bright Wizard :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

GO_Bear wrote: »
    I am intrigued by Darkfall , I do not know a whole lot about it.
    How much is it ?
    Is it laggy?
    Do many people play it ?
    I was under the impression the main type of combat was siege/zerg warfare

Unfortunately, no one can be told what Darkfall is. You have to see it for yourself.
    Begin

Advertisement