Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky + HD query

Options
  • 28-09-2010 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked before but i notiched that if you have Sky + HD, you can record up to 185 hours of television as opposed to 40 hours on the normal Sky + box.
    Can you use a Sky + HD box if your television is not HD, and if you did swap over the boxes would you lose everything that you have recorded on the original box.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Yes, you don't need a "full HD" or "HD ready" TV to use a Sky+ HD box as it has a SCART connection.

You will lose your recordings if you swap boxes as they are physically recorded on the hard drive of the box. You will be able to access and play them back with an active Sky card inserted.

You can also replace the hard drive in a Sky+ box to one with a larger capacity. There are plenty of tutorials online. It is even be possible to copy the recordings from the old drive to the new, but I would not be depending on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gavmcfad

JDxtra wrote: »
    Yes, you don't need a "full HD" or "HD ready" TV to use a Sky+ HD box as it has a SCART connection.

You will lose your recordings if you swap boxes as they are physically recorded on the hard drive of the box. You will be able to access and play them back with an active Sky card inserted.

Thanks for the info regarding the HD television, the extra storgage could come in very handy indeed but im a bit confused by the 2nd part of your answer.

I assume you have an existing Sky+ box with recordings on it. If you disconnect this box, then you will not be able to access the recordings on it.

However, if you later reconnect this box you will be able to access the recordings. But an active Sky subscription card (like the one that's in there now) will need to be inserted into the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gavmcfad

JDxtra wrote: »
    I assume you have an existing Sky+ box with recordings on it. If you disconnect this box, then you will not be able to access the recordings on it.

However, if you later reconnect this box you will be able to access the recordings. But an active Sky subscription card (like the one that's in there now) will need to be inserted into the box.

Oh cheers, get you now.
    Now all i need to do is decide, if its worth losing all my sons episodes of Fireman Sam and the like, just to increase my storage.

• Advertisement

Ahh, only you can decide that!

You can however buy a triple-DVD pack of Fireman Sam episodes for €7 here. Just an option! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Maybe I was just unlucky but I believe your recordings are actually paired to the sky cards too.

We tried swapping out our cards, even rang sky to pair them to the new boxes but none of our archived recordings would play with the new card. We had to throw the old card back into it's original box to view the recordings.
    I guess I'll just have to back them all up on VHS/DVD and then try again.

Advertisement