Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which switch for off-peak heating?

Options
  • 28-09-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hello,

I have two switches next to the electric heater in my living room and I don't know which one is for off-peak storage heating. I am on the so-called profile 2 Urban Nightsaver tariff.

The switches are identical. When I turn the right one on nothing happens. The left switch seems to work, in the sense that the red light above the switch turns on. I suspect, as I tried this at daytime, this is the convector. But still no heat (the switch on the heater itself is on). Anyone a clue? Does the Nightsaver tariff rule out heating at peak times?

I am right that the switch that doesn't do anything during daytime should be kept ON all time? It was off last night and I'm freezing now... Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Exactly, the one that does nothing should be left on all the time. Assuming you're wired up correctly it'll be switched on by the ESB control equipment when the nightsaver tariff kicks in. You're on the correct tariff as well on your bill.

Depending on where it's wired from, the convector switch may or may not also have a fuse cover on it, whereas the off-peak switch will most likely not.

The convector switch might be in a funny place on the heater, and check also that the thermostat for it is turned up. You should really try and use the convector as little as possible, since it'll be most likely using day rate energy unless you turn it on after 11pm-12pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 limboy

Thanks! I don't see a fuse cover, but I'll try to avoid using the convector anyway (if it works at all, which doesn't seem to be the case).

One more question. Does the Room Temperature "Boost" Control overrule the output settings on the heater?

Also there's a small dial 1-5 on the heater, but it doesn't say what it's for (it is not output or input). It is right below the on/off switch on the heater.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

That's probably the convector thermostat. Try putting it up high and turning on the convector, that may do the trick.

By room temperature boost do you mean a knob on the wall like a thermostat, or one of the knobs on the heater?

The convector and storage heater, although they're in the one case, are essentially two entirely separate heaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 limboy

It is on 5, but still the convector did not turn on.

Yes, I mean a thermostat; it's a small control panel on the wall. I was wondering what happens if the thermostat is set to, say, 20 degrees, but the stored heat of the previous night is insufficient. Does it switch to real-time electricity use or does it simply give up once all stored heat is spent? I guess the last.

Advertisement