Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to locate PIR's?

Options
  • 28-09-2010 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭

I am getting a wireless alarm fitted tomorrow. There will be contacts fitted on the front and back doors with inertia sensors on all downstairs windows (including the back patio door).
    There are also 2 x PIR's, where should these be located? The house is a fairly standard 4 bed semi (circa 1250 sqft) I was thinking of putting both downstairs, 1 in the kitchen & the other in the sitting room.... Should I use 1 of these in the hall or upstairs landing instead??

Thanks,

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

D_Red_Army wrote: »
    I am getting a wireless alarm fitted tomorrow. There will be contacts fitted on the front and back doors with inertia sensors on all downstairs windows (including the back patio door).
    There are also 2 x PIR's, where should these be located? The house is a fairly standard 4 bed semi (circa 1250 sqft) I was thinking of putting both downstairs, 1 in the kitchen & the other in the sitting room.... Should I use 1 of these in the hall or upstairs landing instead??

Thanks,

K

Hi D_Red_Army,

If you not covering upstairs windows then one on the landing plus one in the hall. The one in the hall I would set up for entry/exit as it will tell you to disarm the panel in the morning plus if some one did get in it will mean they wont have a code to disarm and set off the alarm while your in bed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

+1 On 1 PiR in hall and one on landing.
    However the correct setting for a PiR in the hall is Access.
    If this is to be on in partguard at night time then a setting in the panel Access> EE should be enabled. This ensures the PiR causes an instant alarm if full set if no entry zone has opened first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

As already mentioned DO NOT put the pir in the hallway on entry/exit. This is very important

If the pir in the hall is set up on entry/exit then it gives the 30 second delay and the alarm has to be unset by the user when they walk down the stairs.
    If the pir is omitted in partguard then it wont activate the alarm as it omitted from the system while in partguard.

If someone does get into your home then the pir wont be picking them up at night as it is off in partguard if set up for access only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Access to EE on partguard ??
    Most panels have this facility.
    Anyway it sounds like the op is getting a pro to fit the alarm tomorrow so I would hope that they know this

• Advertisement

All depends how the engineer sets up the alarm plus explains things to the owner.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I can't think of any situation or advantage of having a PiR on Entry Exit over access & access>EE in part guard.

koolkid wrote: »
    I can't think of any situation or advantage of having a PiR on Entry Exit over access & access>EE in part guard.

I have seen glass taken out of the window frame withouts activating the alarm. A pir in the hall on entry/exit rather than off in partguard would set off the alarm after the entry/exit timer elapses.

People forgetting to turn off there alarm and walking in front of an armed motion detector or opening the back door after forgetting to disarm the alarm.

Just a few that come to mind..

altor wrote: »
    I have seen glass taken out of the window frame withouts activating the alarm. A pir in the hall on entry/exit rather than off in partguard would set off the alarm after the entry/exit timer elapses.

People forgetting to turn off there alarm and walking in front of an armed motion detector or opening the back door after forgetting to disarm the alarm.

Just a few that come to mind..

+1 On 1 PiR in hall and one on landing.
    However the correct setting for a PiR in the hall is Access.
    If this is to be on in partguard at night time then a setting in the panel Access> EE should be enabled. This ensures the PiR causes an instant alarm if full set if no entry zone has opened first.
    Jnealon wrote: »
    Access to EE on partguard ??
    Most panels have this facility.
    Anyway it sounds like the op is getting a pro to fit the alarm tomorrow so I would hope that they know this

All examples of PiR on access with Access>EE set are referring to the PiR being active in partguard.:confused::confused:
    With this configuration I can not think how the zone type being entry exit has any advantages?

All examples of PiR on access with Access>EE set are referring to the PiR being active in partguard.:confused::confused:
    With this configuration I can not think how the zone type being entry exit has any advantages?

So every morning the customer walks in front of the motion to get to the keypad the alarm activates :confused:

• Advertisement

So every morning the customer walks in front of the motion to get to the keypad the alarm activates :confused:

:eek:Have you never used Accessto EE??:confused:

:eek:Have you never used Accessto EE??:confused:

I have set motions up for access but not access to EE ?

Access to EE means the PiR remains as an access zone in full set but acts as an entry exit zone in part guard. Best of both worlds, you could say.

Access to EE means the PiR remains as an access zone in full set but acts as an entry exit zone in part guard. Best of both worlds, you could say.

Everyday is a school day. :D

Everyday is a school day. :D

It always is in this job:)

Advertisement