Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Run this Sunday??

Options
  • 28-09-2010 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I am running DCM this year and have been following a training program that is pretty much based on the Hal Higdon Intermediate II program (this will be my third marathon & hoping for somewhere around 3.10). However, when I first drafted the program I made a couple of tweaks due to my hol’s and the adidas race series...

The problem is that I am now faced with a 22 mile run this Sunday after the last 3 weekends being 20m – half marathon race – 20m (as part of 52m week). Legs don’t feel too bad at all but just wondering am I foolish to go and attempt a 22 miler this Sunday? I have seen it written here before that you should try to avoid having two weekends in a row with LSR’s.

Would I be better off adding a mile or two to my mid-week runs and lowering the LSR this Sunday to somewhere around 18m?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi cdelboy, the general advice is that your run three weeks from the race should be your longest run, but it doesn't necessarily have to hold true. You could shorten the run slightly and instead include some speed-work as part of the run. Say for example switch it to 18 miles and run miles 9-17 at your planned marathon pace. Alternatively, if the legs are feeling fine, and you have no niggles, you could stick with your original plan. Just plan your route carefully, so that you have the option to drop out of the run at mile 18 should any problems surface. Remember, If you want to run a good race, you have to make it to the start line first!

Advertisement