Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Natural stone wall cleaning

Options
  • 28-09-2010 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi all,

We constructed a natural stone boundary wall 3 years ago and I have noticed now that there is a lot of growth starting to appear, moss, green/red algae and what appears like lime residue that runs down the wall in certain parts. It's a beautiful wall but it is being somewhat obscured by these growths etc. Can anyone advise what I can use to rid the wall of this problem/s?

Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

3000 psi power washer should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Poly wrote: »
    3000 psi power washer should do it.

Thanks for that advice. I have a 125 BAR pressure washer so will go with that. Would it be best advised to spray the wall with anything first to remove growth roots etc? Or will a right blast keep the wall looking good for another few years anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

a small electric 125 bar will take ages, try it though.
    If it works, hire a 13 HP petrol washer for fast results.
    You shouldn't need chemicals, but for stubborn stains you could try "santrax", its an acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Poly wrote: »
    a small electric 125 bar will take ages, try it though.
    If it works, hire a 13 HP petrol washer for fast results.
    You shouldn't need chemicals, but for stubborn stains you could try "santrax", its an acid.

Thanks Poly, but will santrax not dissolve the mortar?:eek: It's great stuff for clearing mortar from things like spirit levels etc but could it damage the wall? Maybe if I tried samll amounts carefully applied in certain areas? What you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I won't suggest a solution for you are there are loads of issues, but a few years ago I did a project on a Dublin Church. Clean the stone was a topic covered and I inspected some area out the rear where the caretakers tried to clean the facade with a powerwasher. It got the moss off, but now it was different to the surrounding area.
    If you are going to do it, be prepared to clean it all, even area that are currently "clean"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Each to there own, but power washing a boundary wall is a lot of work.
    Personally the beauty of a natural stone boundary is that it is "natural". Moss and lichens add greatly to the variety of colours.

People have been known to spray natural stone with yogurt to increase the growth of moss & lichens. If I were the OP then I'd let nature take its course.

Advertisement