Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikepure.org...

Options
  • 27-09-2010 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Can't find the thread..not sure where it has gone...but I've a reply from Myles... he doesn't do forums... bit of a hippy truth be told...!

Hello all,
    I'm Myles one of the people who run BikePure.
    I will try to answer all the questions one by one. If you have taken time to write, I will take time to answer, but my email is available here (myles@bikepure.org) and has been on the site, if it were keeping your avatar awake at night!!

we are a "limited company with community interest." and the year end accounts ARE available to anyone that wishes to look at them- they show (to those not that bothered) will show we lost 19 thousand euro in the last trading year.
    The key model was to gather all the riders and fans together who want to protect the future for our sport and build an organisation, where united we would be a force for change. We did hope the cycle industry would support us more, but it seems ANYTHING which involves drugs, positive or negative was not good PR.

We have income from the adverts on the site. Aspire give us 100$ a month, Dave lloyd nothing as he promotes the campaign and advises us, and Vankru donated 100 for a month, but we have left it there as he is a guy starting a new company.

To give you a heads up on the reality my wife calls it BikePOOR-

The donations do not as yet cover the cost of running the campaign. All riders who sign get a pack which contains shirts bands stickers etc. We provide these to the teams and riders for free and as the organisation has grown this is a big draw on resources. We also have nearly 40 ambassadors around the world; each requires supported to different levels, depending on their own desired level of commitment.

What stops a doper from signing? Faith, hope and trust.
    We have found that any rider who signs our anti doping code, is admitting the problem of cheating exists within the sport, which is sadly is a rarity within some ranks of the peloton.
    The pledge not to cheat, is not between the rider and Bike Pure – but between rider and his friends, family, fans and team mates. It is the choice to be opposed to doping and ride with honor. Bike Pure is simply a medium to let the world know the athlete has taken this decision to respect his sport and the elements within.

The BikePure Irish club is just that , a club. 9 riders all friends who ride together, all fund their own costs. BikePure paid for the club registration.

i doubt anything i write would quell....but the bikepure symbols are just that, riders and fans making a statement to say we want the drugs out of our sport, we want riders to trust and a sport with a believable future.
    Andy is in melbourne at the anti doping conference staying with his brother, he is emigrating there next month.I was at the Tour of Britain last month for 2 stages. I would love to see the glory in the slow boat to hollyhead full of drunk soccer fans and sleeping in the car outside chester .

Bike Pure
    M: +44 (0)7825 339011
    E: myles@bike-pure.org
    W: http://www.bikepure.org
    T: http://twitter.com/BikePure
    FB: http://facebook.com/bikepure

Bike Pure is an independent, global organization for fans, riders and the cycle trade to join together in a united stance for a new era of positive cycling. We spearhead constructive, structured reform, to restore the integrity of cycle sport and create a nurturing environment for future champions to succeed. We are simply cyclists working for cycling.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

mtbireland wrote: »
    Can't find the thread..not sure where it has gone...

Mod Note: The previous thread was deleted by request of the Category Moderators. To make a long story short, it was causing too much trouble.

I'm going to leave this open since Myles has taken the trouble to reply and answer questions, but I'll edit out his comments addressed to particular posters lest it re-open earlier rows.

Let me be very clear, there is to be no more trolling in this new thread. This is the final warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭emtroche

I'd just like to add that speaking as one of the organisers of the Race Around Ireland we are proud to support Bikepure.

Anybody who does anything for the promotion of the positive image of cycling, whether as a sport or as a healthy activity should be respected and supported.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'd like to think that comprehensive reply from Myles answers most if not all the queries that were raised.
    Personally I think the aim to raise the profile of athletes who are prepared to stand out and say they are clean is admirable and I wish them all the best.

I also love the blue spacer's ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

Good luck to you Myles, glad someone is doing something positive for cycling fans out there to highlight the issues that affect our sport..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

RobFowl wrote: »
    I'd like to think that comprehensive reply from Myles answers most if not all the trolling that was going on.

fixed that for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Myles

Could annual accounts be published on the website rather than just being made available on request?

If not, why not?

I feel if you want fairness, clarity and openess in cycling, such a move would enhance that cause

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭C3PO

Myles

Could annual accounts be published on the website rather than just being made available on request?

If not, why not?

I feel if you want fairness, clarity and openess in cycling, such a move would enhance that cause

Thanks

Why do I get the feeling that there is something going on in the background here? What is your problem Bob?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

RPL1 wrote: »
    Why do I get the feeling that there is something going on in the background here? What is your problem Bob?

Some people on the interwebs are just heroic toilers in the dark, enduring the stings and barbs of mockery from the ignorant sheeple, to bring you THE TRUTH... (Tinfoil hat optional.) See also: any doping thread.

Yes, I should be out today riding my bike instead,

RPL1 wrote: »

You are being over perceptive

The question can be taken at face value

Nothing "going on in the background" I can assure you

I have raced and followed cycling for twenty years. Doping has been and continues to be a scourge. On the face of it bike pure are to be admired. If the chaps made a loss maybe showing people where they made a loss might help illicit more financial support for their aspirations. If there mission is a good one they don't deserve to be out of pocket. If accounts were published someone might have a different perspective on their business model and could advise them where they may be going wrong?

How about a tour de pure starting in Dublin nag take in all the surrounding counties

If there is enough positivity on boards for bike pure couldn't a cycle sportive be organised to fund raise for bike pure and put them back in the black????

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

accounts are available as explained in the OP. E-mail them if you want a copy, and let's not have this thread head the same way as the last one. Thanks. Beasty. (Ps - on phone so can't be bold, but this is a Mod notice)

edit: insert bold

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

By the way, the accounts of any limited company are publicly available. It's one of the conditions of registering as a such, that you have to file accounts every year at the Companies Registration Office, which can be accessed by anyone.

I know you can purchase Irish company accounts in cro office in Parnell sq. But I gather bike pure would be under northern Ireland registration?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Bike Pure Ltd - an Irish company (Company Number 466655)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I know you can purchase Irish company accounts in cro office in Parnell sq. But I gather bike pure would be under northern Ireland registration?

Bob. I understand why in the sake of transparency that you would want to have accessible accounts on the net.
    However the guys responsible for Bike Pure have for whatever reason decided to not publish on the net. That is their entitlement, regardless of how much you may disagree with it.

They have offered to send accounts to anyone who contactys them. Most fairminded folk would believe that to be reasonable. You can also get accounts from the UK Co. Registration office.

Your suggestion about a sportif is a good one, and maybe something could be one about that. I am not sure what can be achieved about continual asking the same question.

I have no opinion on bike pure whatsoever. They mean nothing to me, but I think their aim of positive affirmation is laudable, if slightly naive (but I am a jaded cynic). They are as entitled to turn a buck from this effort as anyone is, and best of luck to them. I hope that they start making some sort of return soon, as no enterprise/organisation can indefinitely sustain a loss.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

7131202 2 Account details REGISTERED 09/07/2010 31/12/2009 Yes 7

All accounts published and up to date.
    Well before the required deadline as well.
    Costs €2.50 to get a copy if anyone is interested.

Or free if you email them

el tonto wrote: »
    Or free if you email them

I meant from the Irish Companies register. They do file accounts yearly and on time so are open and transparent.

Already paid my €2.50, and can confirm that Myles has funded the company to the tune of €32k or so with a loan to the company (the company had cash of €2k at 31/12/09).

Can also confirm the €19k loss they made in the period to 31/12/09.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Myles
    If not, why not?
    Thanks

/facepalm

In the interests of clarity and openness, a note: I've stepped in over the heads of the local mods here as category moderator and given Slideshowbob a week off from the sports category. His post above isn't cycling; it's political ****stirring and he was warned to give that a rest at the start of the week.

We now return you to your regular programming...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I'm in the dark here and missed the first thread, whats the issue with pure bike and why is everyone on about their accounts?

I'm not stirring, I think its a good idea (as good an idea as any anti doping website and tshirt can be) wheres all the rotton fruit coming from?

• Advertisement

I'm in the dark here and missed the first thread, whats the issue with pure bike and why is everyone on about their accounts?

I'm not stirring, I think its a good idea (as good an idea as any anti doping website and tshirt can be) wheres all the rotton fruit coming from?
    The accounts point is a complete non-issue. One poster was stirring it up in both threads, and he has now been dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I think I have missed the initial thread, but I've looked up the bikepure website out of curiosity, and at the mundanest level I agree with the sentiments that are provided there.

I had a look at the "support us" bands/headset spacers, and given a choice between the blue and yellow, I'd have no problem lending a bit of support to that cause.

Keep up the good work, and even if most people think it silly/pointless, I think that there is a valid point to be made there, that there are cyclists that exist out there that do not wish others to feel that they must abuse the system to beat other compatriots.

Having said all that, and judging by my performance on my beginner spin this morning, I can see that the road to improvement is going to be long and hard :o

I'd best get subscribing...

nereid wrote: »
    judging by my performance on my beginner spin this morning, I can see that the road to improvement is going to be long and hard :o
    There may be some shortcuts you could ,,,, - oh, better not go there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 theclimber

Or SPARKS might fly

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

You can be so negative.
    You seem to pick up on the dark side all the time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Removed from "FB Friends".

Not really an issue to be honest.

Not sure what the point is SSB - this is a discussion forum, and you're simply cross-referencing to another discussion forum, without any comment

Anyway, to remove the risk of further trouble on this topic, I'm closing the thread

Thanks

Beasty

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement