Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resort/accommodation suggestions for group of 10-15 beginners

Options
  • 27-09-2010 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi,

Looking for resort suggestions for a group of 10-15 people, couples and singletons in their twenties, all beginners for a week from January 22nd. We would like to book independently as I personnally feel that you get awful accommodation and get fleeced by tour operators but I could stand corrected on that one.

We're thinking that a big house could be better for us because then there would be double rooms and twin rooms and would probably work out cheaper.

I went to Chamonix last year and liked it for myself but there was hardly any selection for beginners. I liked that it was so close to geneva airport and our hotel was close to the base of some of the slopes.

If anyone knows any good deals on big houses please let me know the details and if you ahve experience of booking for large groups you probably know how much we need your help!!

Thanks
    Emma

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Emma the whole of La Tour in Chamonix is perfect for beginners?? Its where most of the ski schools bring the newbies.

Most Austrian resorts its hard to get Chalets but you can get apartments where you can block book the whole block. It will be easier to get a chalet in France

TO V independant has been depated a million times on here but the truth is it depends on when and where you book! It can be cheaper to go half board with TO but to get accom and to a resort it is cheaper to go independant for the most part.

Austria Mayrhofen, Saalbach,Zurs, Lermoos

France Chatel, Morzine, Chamonix, Les Deux Alps, Tignes,

Switzerland; Verbier, Saas Fee, Laax,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 markhenry5

harrise. If you all beginners going with a tour op is usually a better option. I know of one 7 bedroom village centre apt in Soldeu. I dont know if it is available, let me know if you want me to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 harrise

Thanks for the replies, I think we're going to go with a tour op to hotel miravalle in Sauze D'oulx because it seems to be the best deal after totting up the prices to go individually. I'm a bit concerned with the lack of green slopes in Sauze from looking at the piste map but there seems to be some in the adjacent resorts so I'm sure we'll just find them when we get there!

Im sure I can get you a price at least 30% lower than the tour op for Andorra which is perfect for beginners. E - mail me on hfingleton@gmail.com.

markhenry5 You are the Andorran tourist bord?:D:D Do I get a prize now?

Think its time you ralised Andorra is no longer as cheap as it used to be in comparison to some Italian or Austrian resorts just in case you havent heard I would check out Where to ski and Board oh and this wonderfull article about Andorra having some of the most expensive lift passes in Europe

There lift pass is almost as expensive as Zermatt :eek: For half the area!

http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/resorts/Soldeu/

http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/news/Andorra_hikes_up_price_of_lift_pass/

• Advertisement

You got me. No I'm just very passionate about the ski area. I think its massively underrated. I am biased cause I work there in winter. I do agree with you on the prices. Lift passes are very expensive, alcohol is average but food and ski equipment are still very cheap. The quality of some of the resteraunts on the mountain is also an issue. I think they are trying to position themselves as a more upmarket resort. Not surprising considering the investment in lifts and new areas over the last few years. The piste preparation for the ladies world cup has allegedly cost several million alone. So go tell me, How much are the Austrians paying you ?

Nothing Sadly Mark if you check my post my two fav resorts are actually Swiss (Saas Fee / Andermatt ) and Canadian (Kicking Horse /Revelstoke). I have Recomended pretty much every Alpine nation in Europe depending on the criteria. and up untill 2 years ago would have recommended Andorra.For an overall experience for begineers you just cant beat Austria though, and they are so good at what they do. Not a big fan of their approach to teaching (Austrian ski schools are set up in a way to get one week a year skiers around the mountain rather than on improving the actual skiing)Have been to Andorra a rake of times and always enjoyed it but I do feel the Tourist Department or whoever is in charge needs to take a look at what they are doing and go back to their roots of value. The cost of the downhill slope is mostly spent on working on the base laying stone shale etc and the Piste Injections bars for FIS races.Piste Injections bars = Basically water pumps that spray water under the snow to turn the slope to ice to maintian a constant surface for racers. FIS racers are held on what is essentialy an ice rink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

i went to livigno in italy last year , i organised a trip for a group of 19.
    we're all in our mid 20's.

livigno has a brilliant balance of nightlife and snowboarding / skiing.
    there are runs to cater for all levels.

we rented 3 apartments right beside eachother that slept 5-7 in each comfortably. they were lovely new apartments. i can dig out the name for you if you want.

from memory, it was about €750 all in : flights, accomodation, ski pass, bus transfer, rental of gear for those who needed it,

Advertisement