Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pocket money.

Options
  • 27-09-2010 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

I don't know of i'm putting this in the wrong forum so mods, feel free to move to a more appropriate place.

Just thaught i'd pose the question of how much pocket money students are getting these days..I'm talking about kids from about 16+

With most kids that age having a social life, lifestyle and even some of them having a car to maintain, and all during a serious economic recession, i just thaught it'd be an interesting question to pose...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I don't have a settled agreement about it, but I'd probably scab €15-ish off her a week. Would have to properly earn any more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

"Kids" should not be getting pocket money to spend on a car!!!

If they can't get a job and afford a car, they shouldn't have one!!!

Serious over-entitlement complex in this country!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH. Think you might hit your target demographic for the thread here op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Yipee!! 1000th post.

I have taken a step up the ladder of boards.ie maturity. :P

I know this is off topic but OP you should be proud and honoured that I, yes I, chose your thread to post my 1000th post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I'm 18, don't get pocket money and never have. I live at home and my mam pays fifty euro a week for my bus to Dublin for college, which I'll be paying back once my grant comes through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Pocket money? Such filthy things are for commoners. Us rich folk operate in 500 euro wads of cash, of which I would be given around 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I rarely get money, but I got 30 or so this month because I had like a million birthday presents to get and I lost some of my own money (it fell out of my pocket in shopping centre :(). I make my own money mostly babysitting, I hate scabbing off my parents. I think its fairly spoilt to be asking your parents for money for everything-car,social life,blah blah. If you can't afford it you can't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

The money I get from my parents amounts to books for college/college fee/bus tickets for getting to college/stuff along those lines. I've had a job for the last year and a bit so I can pretty much count on two hands how many times I've needed to ask them for money for anything else since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Must stop talking about it and mobilise myself into job hunting >_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭EverybodyLies

I don't get any pocket money, never have. I prefer it that way. I think I kind of appreciate money a bit more than friends of mine who get about 30 quid a week. :pac: I feel bad enough asking for money for school supplies, never mind a social life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'm 16 now (very nearly 17). Never really had pocket money, just asked the parents whenever I needed it. Things were starting to decline financially for the ole parents though in the last while, but I found a part-time job in the nick of time and I can fund most of my recreational stuff. My parents really only pay for the essentials now: food (most of the time...), home, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Got about €15 a week up until I was 15.Been working ever since I turned 16 though so all mine mine mine mine mine mine mine :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I never really have gotten pocket money, hate taking money off my parents. Usually if I borrow money I try to give it back if I'm babysitting etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭msbrightside

Never gotten pocket money, like most, my parents would pay for most of the basics for school and that. I don't like asking mum or dad for money for clothes and non-essentials so I try to save up from the odd babysitting job and my birthday (!), and even though my parents try to let me know that I can borrow money if I need to, I still feel pretty guilty. :o

I looked everywhere last summer for a job but with such a small town with only a few jobs and lots of people applying I didn't get one. Will definitely be trying again this summer though, I'll need to make some money to pay my way through college..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I used to get like €10 a week until I was 16. Wasn't a lot but I really appreciated it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I don't get any money from my parents at all because they just don't have it to give it to me, which I'm totally fine with. I have a job so I can kinda afford to be independent-ish. My Mam still buys me food and stuff for college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

We did this in French the other day.. Suffice to say.. It was in French.

"Je ne recois pas l'argent de poche." As I said then. ;)
    AKA: Nah, Don't get pocket money. Never have, really. If I need money my parents will give me it, but usually I have enough myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

In Secondary school I used get €20 a week, well €12 in first and second year but it somehow got increased. I got a job at the start of August this year so I didn't need any money.

My parents also pay for everything, books, car tax, insurance and up untill I got a job petrol. I tried to pay the car tax but they were having none of it... Tbh even with a job I couldn't afford it if they didn't pay for stuff, so far this week they will have spent €150 on books for colllege.

You may say I don't need a car, but there is no other way of getting to UCC otherwise (even though I only live 20 minutes away).

Im not sure how much I'll end up getting while in college, this is my first week not getting paid. Mam said she would have to start giving me money again though. I might get a few hours every few weeks so I might not be as reliant on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Monkey09

Thanks for all the replies everyone..Was a question i'd been interested in for a while..I'm in colelge myself and was wondering about the number of students who can afford to go out twice or three times a week, along with all the other expenses they have. Bearing in mind, that the majority of students i know don't work.

I'm in college myself. I work a few hours here and there (babysitting and stuff...) but it just wouldn't be often enough for me to be able to pay for everything myself..

I get about 35e a week off my parent, and about 16-17 euro of that goes towards my travel ticket, so 35e sounds like a lot but i'm not really left with a whole lot after i pay for travel.

I must say, i was surprised at the number of you who getting nothing at all. Apart from a few posts, i did wonder if i was getting honest responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Cian92 wrote: »
    In Secondary school I used get €20 a week, well €12 in first and second year but it somehow got increased. I got a job at the start of August this year so I didn't need any money.

My parents also pay for everything, books, car tax, insurance and up untill I got a job petrol. I tried to pay the car tax but they were having none of it... Tbh even with a job I couldn't afford it if they didn't pay for stuff, so far this week they will have spent €150 on books for colllege.

You may say I don't need a car, but there is no other way of getting to UCC otherwise (even though I only live 20 minutes away).

Im not sure how much I'll end up getting while in college, this is my first week not getting paid. Mam said she would have to start giving me money again though. I might get a few hours every few weeks so I might not be as reliant on them.

:eek:
    Bit of a Ross O'C-K situation over here.

And they're called legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

When I was in school, I got money if I needed it, like for the cinema I would get a 20 or something. Then I would not get any food while I was there and save up for clothes.

I'm in college now, my parents are really good to me, I have a job but my mum wants me to be able to have savings so she helps me out by paying for some of my rent. And with my savings I bought my car and they pay for my insurance, tax and nct and any repairs. And I bought my own computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

:eek:
    Bit of a Ross O'C-K situation over here.

And they're called legs.

Yeah if it's a 20 minute drive then cycling is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I don't understand how everyone can afford to go out so much, I went out ONE night this week to Tripod, I didn't drink and I spent 30 euros, are you fúcking serious? I was left scavenging off a tenner for 2 or 3 days. Lads are going out 3 or 4 days a week and they DON'T have jobs, where the fúck is the money coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I don't understand how everyone can afford to go out so much, I went out ONE night this week to Tripod, I didn't drink and I spent 30 euros, are you fúcking serious? I was left scavenging off a tenner for 2 or 3 days. Lads are going out 3 or 4 days a week and they DON'T have jobs, where the fúck is the money coming from?

Doddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

You can make it cheaper than that even with drink.

If I share a taxi/sleep in someone else's then in a night out I might spend

€7-8 on predrinks (whatever a six pack or shoulder costs basically)
    €5 in probably.
    maybe 3 drinks inside at €3 each is €9
    €5 taxi home if you get enough people. If you can stay somewhere close you don't have to pay anything.

That's just under 30 a night with most going on drink for me. Of course the 20 I usually spend on the taxi home makes it considerably more expensive most of the time:mad:

edit: and the super el-cheapo version

Lager in Dunnes is 79c a can. So 8 would cost you just €6.40. Then start scoring/going out with the class rep so you get free entry, don't buy anything inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I suppose I should feel bad that my parents give me money.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Yeah if it's a 20 minute drive then cycling is an option.

Its a 20 minute drive, and cycling is definitley not an option. Every one I know who live around me have to drive in. There actually is a big demand for a bus route...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fairyprincessx

My parents pay for my rent, ESB, college registration and books etc, but I'd pay for my own social life.

I fint that it's so much more expensive to go out in Dublin, at home I'm driving=no taxi=no drinking and usually free in as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I used to get €20 a week until I was 16 and got a job.
    Worked for 2 years, then lost my job just before college. Got the grant in college, which after travel and everything, I'd have about €30 a week.

It's rare that I spend more than €20 on a night out. Cheap pre-drinks for about €8, €5 in, €5 for the nitelink home. €2 left to grab something to eat. Then during the summer I had a few days of work here and there, and if I was really stuck I'd borrow money off my parents. I have 3 casual jobs at the moment, and I'm getting the grant again this year, so I should have a bit more money to spend this year.

I hate getting money off my parents, and will always do something for it or pay it back. I just don't like having had my own money for 3 years, it's not fun going from working and having your own money to needing to ask your parents for money again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I worked during the summer, I'm currently burning through my savings at a ridiculous rate. Should be getting a cheque from the insurance co for my bike that was stolen during the summer

Advertisement