Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstating Pitched Roof on Georgian Property

Options
  • 27-09-2010 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, my parents bought an old Georgian property, it had its roof taken off and replaced with a flat concrete one in the 70's. We are not trying to ascertain the cost of reinstating the roof. Firstly even though we pretty much know the design we want, same as the original roof from the front and both sides, at the back we would like a glass wall and outside terrace for part of it. Firstly even though we are replacing a roof, it does require PP correct? Second question, if we already know what way we want the roof, their shouldn't be too much work involved for the architect? Thirdly, we wish to use the area for living space, do you need to let the planners know exactly how it will be laid out in advance of construction or are you free to do as you wish internally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

You will need to give them the layout in order that it can be assessed in line with the building regulations.

Also any additional floor space will attract a contribution condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

thanks for the response, what is a contribution condition? also can anyone recommend any reasonable architects?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm going to guess that its in Dublin, is it a listed building? It very well amy be.
    That would be the first thing to find out, lists are available form dublincitycoco.ie (if in dublib city).

As for the alyout, you need to provide smethign at this stage. But minor variations are ok during construction.

As for the architect, if its just PP you require, then there are plenty of suitable architects and architectural technicians around that can do it. Location is a factor I suppose.
    Do you require somebody to over see the project?

the property is located in Roscommon, it was not a listed building, then when my parents bought it, they got it listed again (so that grant aid could be applied for) after several years, still not a cent in grant aid has been given, so at this stage we would like to delist if possible. Although it seems absurd to me, that you can just list and delist at will. The building either merits listing or it doesnt. The thing is the whole of the building was gutted, the only original features left are in the basement, and outhouses...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the property is located in Roscommon, it was not a listed building, then when my parents bought it, they got it listed again (so that grant aid could be applied for) after several years, still not a cent in grant aid has been given, so at this stage we would like to delist if possible. Although it seems absurd to me, that you can just list and delist at will. The building either merits listing or it doesnt. The thing is the whole of the building was gutted, the only original features left are in the basement, and outhouses...

Sorry, I assumed Dublin based on your location and Dublin's Georgian majority.

And just so you know, you can't just list and delist at will.
    Some buildings will never be removed, even if the owner wishes and has all sorts of favours to call in.

Seeing as your house sounds borderline at best, it may get removed. A better, and easier option, but be to list only certain aspects,

A lot of georgian houses were gutted, so how only certain feature are listed, such as original front railings, windows, facade etc. In your case it makes sense to lists the facade only, but remove the internals (maybe leave basement) and roof as its not original. This would certainly be easier than outright removal.

• Advertisement

Hi Mellor, thanks for the advice, I will mention your suggestions to my parents...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

OP it might be worth retaining a Structural Engineer to look at the existing flat concrete roof. He/She can advise on its removal, tell if its tied into the existing walls and report on the general condition of the whole structure.

Gutting the building in the past may have weakened it. Why was the original roof replaced with a flat concrete roof?

Hi RKQ, the building was nothing but a shell when bought by new owners in the seventies, they put on the concrete roof, god knows when the building last had its normal roof on. I think a structural engineer may have been out a while back, Ill check with my Dad.

Advertisement