Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FETAC Level 5 Course & Social Welfare Question

Options
  • 27-09-2010 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I was offered a late place on a 1 year FETAC Level 5 course.
    I've been on social welfare for over 12 months, having been made redundant early last year.

I know this question has probably been asked over and over again, but am I entitled to continue claiming Jobseeker's allowance?

Obviously I won't be available to take up full-time work, so I'm concerned about losing my payment. But if I lose my payment, I won't be able to attend the course at all, and I'll be back applying for social welfare. It's a catch 22. :confused:

Should I contact FÁS and ask them to sponsor my course? The course itself only costs €300 for the year. I'm not looking for it to be subsidised at all, I'm simply wondering if involving FÁS might ensure that I'm able to retain my social welfare because, effectively, I'll be taking part in a FÁS sponsored course.
    If that makes sense.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

If you're on social welfare over 12 months & are over the age limit for Back to education allowance then you are entitled to that. It's the same rate as JSA but it's paid into your bank account & you won't have to sign on. Maybe look into that? You are not entitled to continue claiming Jobseekers as you are not actively job seeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Fish Bloke wrote: »
    I was offered a late place on a 1 year FETAC Level 5 course.
    I've been on social welfare for over 12 months, having been made redundant early last year.

I know this question has probably been asked over and over again, but am I entitled to continue claiming Jobseeker's allowance?

Obviously I won't be available to take up full-time work, so I'm concerned about losing my payment. But if I lose my payment, I won't be able to attend the course at all, and I'll be back applying for social welfare. It's a catch 22. :confused:

Should I contact FÁS and ask them to sponsor my course? The course itself only costs €300 for the year. I'm not looking for it to be subsidised at all, I'm simply wondering if involving FÁS might ensure that I'm able to retain my social welfare because, effectively, I'll be taking part in a FÁS sponsored course.
    If that makes sense.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

Have you tried BTEA?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Fish Bloke

Have you tried BTEA?

Well I just got the offer today, and I've only seen info on BTEA today too. I could go in tomorrow to register and get a letter of confirmation, that shouldn't be a problem. I'm 24, have been out of formal education for 6 years and have been in receipt of social welfare for over 12 months. From what I can see that would make me eligible.

Would you mind me asking what the rate of BTEA is?
    I can't seem to find any concrete figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Fish Bloke wrote: »
    Well I just got the offer today, and I've only seen info on BTEA today too. I could go in tomorrow to register and get a letter of confirmation, that shouldn't be a problem. I'm 24, have been out of formal education for 6 years and have been in receipt of social welfare for over 12 months. From what I can see that would make me eligible.

Would you mind me asking what the rate of BTEA is?
    I can't seem to find any concrete figures.

You can download the Btea from on-line, it is paid at the same rate as your JA/JB. The course must be full time, get the confirmation letter and include it with your application. It would probably be quicker to drop the letter in to your social welfare office in person and you may be able to see the relevant person.

What course are you doing?

Advertisement