Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astra 2a and Hipasat on same dish

Options
  • 27-09-2010 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am going to buy a 88cm dish and I was wonder can I put two LNBs on the same dish and recieve Astrta 2a\2b\2d and Hipasat

is this possible without a motor?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

28.2east and 30 west on 1 88cm dish, No way unless you fit a motorized dish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

right if thats not possible can I get

Astra @ 19.2° East \ Hotbird @ 13.0°E \ Astra @ 28.2°E

on the same dish using something like this?

or would I be better getting a motor?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

NEVER EVER use a monoblock in Ireland! The spacing is wrong.

The Wavefrontier T90 can only just manage 30W and 28E, badly. Recommended range is 45 degrees. It can easily do 3 degree separation with regular LNBs

A regular dish can manage about 20 degrees spread if the outer satellites are strong. The separation between satellites has to be a minimum of about 4.5 degrees unless you have special LNBs with dielectric "spike" instead of regular feed horns, then you can do down to 3 degree separation.

A Motor in Ireland will do 42E to 45W, no problem. Moteck SG2100

Triax dish with Triax cross arm for about 20 degrees spread:

127682.jpg

At least 80cm recommended. I use about a 95cm Triax for 28, 19 and 13. I will try adding 9E Ka on it next year.

Center is 110cm Motorised. Right is 28E, 23.5E, 19E and 13E
    126677.jpg

Motorised can only sensibly feed one receiver that's not a full PVR (Full motorised PVR needs TWO motorised dishes!).

The multifeed dish on left can use either:
    • All Single LNBs except Quad on 28E so as to feed 4x satellite FTA box + Sky PVR
    • All Quad LNBS and use at least 2 x Diseqc switches for two or more FTA boxes or PVRs
    • All Quattro LNBs (my setup) driving Multiswitches for over 1000 receivers. I have 16 outlets = up to 8 PVRs or mix PVRs regular recievers. As long as 28.2E is #1 input a Sky box or Sky dual tuner PVR will work too

thanks Watty for that very infomative post, I think a motor maybe the best option for me so

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Watty unless I'm missing some thing Auvers was ,linking to a multi lnb bracket and not a monoblock . The bracket will work fine for astra 1, 2 and hotbird. I'd only go motorised if you must have hispasat.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement

Tony wrote: »
    Watty unless I'm missing some thing Auvers was ,linking to a multi lnb bracket and not a monoblock . The bracket will work fine for astra 1, 2 and hotbird. I'd only go motorised if you must have hispasat.

Hipasat is not essential as I thought that Tvé was available on that satellite but I see they have moved to Hotbird so that multi bracket looks the business

would I also need something like this if I decided to go with the multi LNB bracket?

yes. One per receiver.

For 28, 19 and 13E
    If only ONE receiver, that is not a PVR
    1 x Diseqc and 3 x Universal LNBFs

If only ONE receiver, that is a PVR, and optionally a 2nd receiver (PVR or not) on 28.2E
    2 x Diseqc and 3 x Universal QUAD LNBFs

Make sure receiver can do DVB-S2 and HD, even if you don't have HDTV. Likely then you can add Saorsat later.

You must mount the Triax multibracket different to drawing to get enough tilt for Ireland. It will have hole at bottom, not top, by flipping it over. Still should curve same way as assembly.

To have best signal at 19E & 13E (28E is not an issue), drill a NEW hole in bottom of rail about 2/3rds along so that 28E LNB is mounted on Longer part to the West side of dish.
    Align dish on 16E first with single LNB and no multi-bracket.
    Then fit multibracket and ONLY adjust tilt of bracket and position of LNBs (19E and 13E either side of arm.
    The Dish reflects, hence the more easterly LNB (28E) is on WEST side of bracket.

Top view

WEST
                       \
                        \
     28                  \
     /                    | pole
    (19                   |
     \13                 /
       9                /
                       /

EAST

The 28.2E end is tilted highest.
    Do 19E then 13E first (if you did NOT redrill then the dish must be pointed at about 23.5E and 19E and 13E both on the East side of arm.

Tony wrote: »

I know, I was referring to an earlier comment. :)

watty wrote: »
    yes. One per receiver.

For 28, 19 and 13E
    If only ONE receiver, that is not a PVR
    1 x Diseqc and 3 x Universal LNBFs

If only ONE receiver, that is a PVR, and optionally a 2nd receiver (PVR or not) on 28.2E
    2 x Diseqc and 3 x Universal QUAD LNBFs.

yeah I have SKY + with a humax freesat in my bedroom connected to a sky dish, but I was thinking of just putting the quad LNB belonging to sky\freesat on my new 88 Triax dish and leaving the coax wire the same as it is now

as for the other two LNBs I was thinking to add the 19.2\13.0 LNBs onto the multi bracket and then those two LNBs into the DISEqC switch which will run down to one coax (old UPC coax) which will run into a HTPC with a Pinnacle 7010ix TV Card

am I correct with my approach on this?

watty wrote: »
    I know, I was referring to an earlier comment. :)

Apologies in that case :)

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Auvers;68214698

would I also need something like this if I decided to go with the multi LNB bracket?[/QUOTE]

Yes as watty says you need some way to switch between lnbs/sat positions. The advatage of using a diseq switch over a motor is that there is instant switching between satellites.

yes, and the PC card can get a spare outlet of the Sky Quad LNB too,

Diseqc inputs
    1= Freesat (spare o/p of quad)
    2= 19E Astra
    3= 13E Hotbird
    4= Add later, 9E Ka-band LNB. This will have tiny horn/feed so fit beside the 13E.

Mount behind dish and single coax back. If it's not got a waterproof box, anything waterproof but open at bottom for the 5 cables will do.

You might want to spend €50 or less on a DVB-S2 card later for HD channels. The Pinnacle card is only DVB-S I think.

thanks lads for yer help I will let ye know how I get on

Cheers

Advertisement