Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build

Options
  • 27-09-2010 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Folks, I just want to wire my house for movement sensors in key areas, and the doors. Do I just run some secuirty quad core cable from each source back to the fuse box/main room. Just wondering.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For PIRs ,yes, run a separate cable for each back to the panel location.
    Also as a minimum run a cable to each door .
    4 core is fine but I would recommend 6 core at least.
    Also don't forget to wire for internal and external bells and a phone line..
    As this is a new build why not future proof and wire everywhere?
    I would also wire for network connection to broadband router in case you ever want access or monitoring that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

koolkid wrote: »
    For PIRs ,yes, run a separate cable for each back to the panel location.
    Also as a minimum run a cable to each door .
    4 core is fine but I would recommend 6 core at least.
    Also don't forget to wire for internal and external bells and a phone line..
    As this is a new build why not future proof and wire everywhere?
    I would also wire for network connection to broadband router in case you ever want access or monitoring that way.

I have all that done, but i am going to just put in the cable myself for the PIRS...rest is in place.....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Gotcha.:D
    Home run for each PiR is the best way to go so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

koolkid wrote: »
    Gotcha.:D
    Home run for each PiR is the best way to go so.

Thanks Koolkid. Any best in practice positions for the PIRS......
    I read once, not against windows....but not sure if this is still the case.

Generally in a corner looking away from the window.
    If in doubt use a duel-tec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

tred wrote: »
    Any best in practice positions for the PIRS......

The best advice is to install them so that the expected movement of an intruder will be across the fields of view.

Things to look out for when installing them are direct sunlight, strong air drafts, not facing or over radiators.

Advertisement