Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mondello Racing School

Options
  • 27-09-2010 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

Up there last Thursday doing the single seaters .. absolutely great craic and would highly recommned to anyone considering.

Can't get enough .. will probably book The Chequered Flag course next ! :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭v10

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Glad you enjoyed yourself, I wasnt working that day myself. Who was your instructor and more importantly what was your best time?
    I think instructors name was Ian ? .. It was wet and my best lap was 1:08 .. fastest on the day so I was happy !

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭pulpfictionost

I was there on the 26th Sept, Instructor was great.
    Had a great time. A few hairy moments with the gears and being off line but I put it down to nerves. These cars are very forgiving

Heres my vid, edited so the boring parts are gone
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqLPNef17rE
    ive no experiance racing, i drive a 1L corsa and i once went go karting when i was 12

I'll be back soon, my instructor said i should have a crack at the become a race driver package but I dunno if they just say that cos it costs 235E. ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

I was there on the 26th Sept, Instructor was great.
    Had a great time. A few hairy moments with the gears and being off line but I put it down to nerves. These cars are very forgiving

Heres my vid, edited so the boring parts are gone
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqLPNef17rE
    ive no experiance racing, i drive a 1L corsa and i once went go karting when i was 12

I'll be back soon, my instructor said i should have a crack at the become a race driver package but I dunno if they just say that cos it costs 235E. ha

That looked like some craic, Is it too early to be talking about christmas presents? :D

I can see that you had Brian as your instructor, Brian is a excellent driver so I would listen to what he says! A 56.01 is a very decent time, you should be happy with that.

Im gonna see what the weather is like for this sunday and see if I can book it. Cant wait, its so addictive.

Whats the pace like in that 'Become a race driver' competition?

That looked like some craic, Is it too early to be talking about christmas presents? :D

See if you can get your mom/girlfriend or anyone to buy you a voucher.
    Its some laugh, the mazda is great craic, I thought it was Super fast, like 120-140kmh on the long straight, maybe faster. Just listen to the instructor, they will tell you how to go fast. Its a big differance from doing my driving lessons 3 years ago.

• Advertisement

You will hit 142/143km/hr on the back straight if you get the exit right from the previous corner. The competition pace is pretty good, some decent times but nothing stellar.

Whats a really good lap time in the single seater??

You have the best job dude

Generally speaking:

1.03 -average time
    59`s -good time
    58-59 -decent pace
    56-57 -above average pace.

You time of 56 tells me that you listened to your instructor and that you have some level of natural ability. As for the job its not so much fun when its pelting rain and your standing out in the rain wearing a full cotton overall :)

Years of Gran Turismo, I must have learnt some racing theory haha.
    Cant wait for the next GT, 5 years in the making!
    The suits probably shrink in the wet too. Did you need a racing licence to become an instructor?

I am on the fence regarding GT5, the demos didnt blow me away. Hopefully the full game will be much better.

You dont need a racing licence to be an instructor but pretty much all the instructors have one. Almost all of us race in some class or another and all of us do training courses throughout the year.

I thought I recognised your username! You were saying on a thread ages ago that the 350z in the demo didnt behave realistically, Its funny I was trying to tell you it was realistic when I have no experiance :rolleyes: sorry about that.

I entered that GT academy I had 3rd best time in Ireland,
    http://eu.gran-turismo.com/ie/academy/2010/ranking/
    Went to the finals aswell, but I got knocked out. The prize was a sponsored drive for a year. Here I am again chasing the dream. ha

Hopefully the game will be better tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Ceaser

Anyone know if it's the National Circuit that the Become a Racing Driver course is run?

Ceaser wrote: »
    Anyone know if it's the National Circuit that the Become a Racing Driver course is run?

When I was out doing the start line course the instructor said that the guys doing the 'Become a Racer' Comp were just heading out after us. So im sure its the same 'International Loop'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gojrracing

When I was out doing the start line course the instructor said that the guys doing the 'Become a Racer' Comp were just heading out after us. So im sure its the same 'International Loop'

I think it is real. I want to see the photos of that international loop. Do you have some of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 KahunaBurger87

Their are plenty of onboard footage videos of the loop on youtube. That would be your best place to find more details.

Hi,
    Do you know what times the 'become a Race Driver' guys are getting?
    The guys that have qualified so far?
    Thanks

The day when I was working the times werent amazing, nothing that would set the world on fire. In fact the next day a person set a quicker time than anybody did in the competition.

Any idea what times have been got?
    Just Curious :p

Ficus wrote: »
    We aint allow to say who got what times, but its not just about who goes quickest, there is a list or different criteria each competitor is graded on.
    Any idea what the lap record is by an amateur? and by an experianced racer?
    for racing school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 handfore

Their are plenty of onboard footage videos of the loop on youtube. That would be your best place to find more details.

Correct, I also checked a couple of those videos on youtube, the quality of some videos however are not too good but no option youtube is the only place video corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gojrracing

racing school No idea of lap records but as lightning posted above, an above average pace would be in the region on 56-58 seconds.
    But dont get hung up on times, if you do, you will be slow.
    A quick lap time is a by-product of many different factors of which you will be marked on, so its important you get everything right.
    So just relax, pay attention to your instructor and give it your best shot.

56-58 seconds is hauling

No idea of lap records but as lightning posted above, an above average pace would be in the region on 56-58 seconds.
    A quick lap time is a by-product of many different factors of which you will be marked on, so its important you get everything right.
    Have you ever seen an amatuer get 54 seconds or 55?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 handfore

No idea of lap records but as lightning posted above, an above average pace would be in the region on 56-58 seconds.

I agree stay focused on the task at hand and review times once compelte

• Registered Users Posts: 34 timt

Did this recently, absoloutely brilliant craic, everyone was very nice and went out of their way to help and make you welcome. The driving was great fun, didnt think the mazda would be that quick!

Would highly recommend it, I know it aint cheap, but its definately worth it!

Advertisement