Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion 3Bed Semi D Cinema Room Sound Insulation from Neighbours

Options
  • 26-09-2010 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

I have always wanted a dedicated cinema room, and hopefully my dream is about to come true. I have 3 builders comming this week to give me quotes. Hopefully I'll get it done for around 12K Euros.

Now my questions I have searched about the sound insulation and have read up on Green Goo/Glue partition walls etc. My problem with the partition wall is that I will loose valuable space. My room should hopefully be around 4.2Mx4M this is gable end to gable end, now one quote I got already from a builder said I'll have to loose 1.2M for the door. I'm seeing if there is an alternative way of doing this.

So the party wall with my neighbour! I'm only going to get to do this once the insualtation so want to get it right. He is going to convert his attic space into a bedroom for his daughters as well. I want mine as a cinema room the last thing I want to do is fall out with him

Will sound travel through roof tiles into the room or am I wrong on this also if a Velux us open in bought houses will sound travel much.
    What is the best way of sound insulating the room with out spending a fortune and loosing allot of space.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Psygnosis wrote: »
    My problem with the partition wall is that I will loose valuable space. My room should hopefully be around 4.2Mx4M this is gable end to gable end, now one quote I got already from a builder said I'll have to loose 1.2M for the door. I'm seeing if there is an alternative way of doing this.
    [/QUOTE]
    There may be another way to have access, but impossible to tell without a plan/section.
    also, a semi-d has only one gable, so not quite sure about the gable to gable dimension, gable to party wall?

Will sound travel through roof tiles into the room or am I wrong on this also if a Velux us open in bought houses will sound travel much.
    What is the best way of sound insulating the room with out spending a fortune and loosing allot of space
    Sound proofing the party wall won't loose a whole lot of space, 100mm-200mm depending on how far you go.
    IMO not a whole lot of sound will travel through the tiles from the neighbours. The party wall is the main factor here. But, external sound will travel through the roof, planes, general noise etc. Trying to eliminate this would be costly, and a lot of hassle. Personnall, I'd just get by with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,114 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Afaik, sound will travel through joists (if yours are connected to or butted against your neighbour's) and ceiling timbers.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Afaik, sound will travel through joists (if yours are connected to or butted against your neighbour's) and ceiling timbers.
    Joists run parallel to a party wall, not into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

I'm only going to get to do this once the insualtation so want to get it right.
    He is going to convert his attic space into a bedroom for his daughters as well. I want mine as a cinema room the last thing I want to do is fall out with him

Given that you seem to get on with your neighbour and that he's converting his attic too, it might be that the situation can be improved if soundproofing aspects were introduced on his side too - you perhaps supplying the materials to his builder (or better still, getting the same builder to double up and so do the overall job more cheaply).

Mellor wrote: »
    Joists run parallel to a party wall, not into it.
    I meant the beams that the joists are suspended from. :o

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

The joists aren't suspended from a beam, they run front wall plate to rear wall plate.
    Rafters too.

Basically the roof is, or should be, independant from adjacent roofs. You never share joists or beams* and you don't build into the party wall.

*An exception is in old houses. Shared roof spaces were common. and often large transverse beams were used. But this isn't applicable here.

But this isn't applicable here.
    This is an assumption on your part. The OP has not given enough details.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    This is an assumption on your part. The OP has not given enough details.
    He has in in fact provided enough information as he mentions a party wall in the attic. It's a pretty safe assumption that the OP doesn't have a shared roof space.

Does it really bother this much that you made a mistake? It happens, get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Yeah the joists seem to be independednt of my neighbours house. The house is only 4 years old so should be.

Have had the obligitary 3 quotes so far
    1st 17K
    2nd 10-12K depending
    3rd not intrested as the person was unwilling to move the stairs was quoting 12k

The guy who qouted 10-12k was the soundest and nicest by far got a good feeling hes a builder out in Clonee. So will more than likely go with him.

Room will be 15ftx16ft so good size.

For the sound proofing part he said hed cement it with a inch of cement or so block any air leaks etc so he reckons that would do a proper job

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 406 ✭✭FesterBeatty

The joists aren't suspended from a beam, they run front wall plate to rear wall plate.
    Rafters too.

I would imagine that the majority of semi-d attic conversions around the country comprise new floor joists (installed between the bottom cords of existing roof trusses) supported on steel beams which also support the load bearing timber studs. The beams typically span from gable to party - the ends of which bear onto padstones built into the existing walls (gable & party). I've seen very few done any other way.

• Advertisement

I would imagine that the majority of semi-d attic conversions around the country comprise new floor joists (installed between the bottom cords of existing roof trusses) supported on steel beams which also support the load bearing timber studs. The beams typically span from gable to party - the ends of which bear onto padstones built into the existing walls (gable & party). I've seen very few done any other way.
    That's true. But its also completely irrelevant. And not in the least bit refered to be me or anyone else. Please read a thread before jumping with irrelevant comments

The original comment refered to timber support joists, then beams in contact with the same of the neighbours house, or even being the same beam, and sound transfer between such. This is not done.
    A newly installed beam is structurally separate for a number of reasons, mainly fire protection. Obviously the issue of flanking sound is always present throughout a semi-D and a floating floor is all that can be done here. The neighbour doing the same is ideal.

Please

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Out Of Order

I've been reading about soundproofing online lately myself as I'm about to start partitioning and putting plasterboard on my ceilings.

For your situation, based on what I've read, I would look at building a room within a room.

You might find this site useful: http://www.diy-home-theater-design.com/home-theater-construction.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19 korpy

The guy who qouted 10-12k was the soundest and nicest by far got a good feeling hes a builder out in Clonee. So will more than likely go with him.

Room will be 15ftx16ft so good size.

I'm interested to convert my attic as well and I'm curious if you would get a cert. of compliance as well in this quote? How long will take the job?

Advertisement