Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIS 4th Year Modules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

I was signed up for the leadership one last year and after one class I drop it for something else. Though there is no exam which some see as a plus, I felt that the amount of work that had to be done was more than you'd do for an exam. And I wasn't impressed with the lecturer and her style either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ya I'm not sure myself. I'll probably need another week I'd say.. What were the modules that you did?

I'm thinking of doing Business tools instead of financial services now.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

I didn't do BIS but a lot of our classes were mixed with BIS or other random courses.

Oh, fair enough.. Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Information Security systems is hard stuff - it's about Cryptography an stuff - it's really interesting but it's mathematical. That said the lecturer Brian O' Flaherty is bang on and he marks fairly easily - do well in the continuous assessments and you'll be flying - they're two reports due up - one is on configuring a router and the other is about a company losing lots of important data - it rarely changes from year to year. I'd strongly advise doing it.

The management module is a bid dodge - I did it with a group that had no clear plan tbh - we muddled through it and threw together most of our presentation and written report. It was handly having one less exam to be honest but we didn't get a great result and it conflicted with our fyps alot. The lectures are no help whatsoever.

That said if you organise yourself you can definately do well, get high marks and bring up your overall grade average.

The subjects I chose as electives were mgmt, Info security & Business Tools which was grand and I did fairly well in - it's about software testing techniques like xp & scrum - interesting enough and did well enough in his CA.

To cut a long story short I'd strongly recommend Information System Security & Business Tools as electives - mgmt is up to you

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    Information Security systems is hard stuff - it's about Cryptography an stuff - it's really interesting but it's mathematical. That said the lecturer Brian O' Flaherty is bang on and he marks fairly easily - do well in the continuous assessments and you'll be flying - they're two reports due up - one is on configuring a router and the other is about a company losing lots of important data - it rarely changes from year to year. I'd strongly advise doing it.

The management module is a bid dodge - I did it with a group that had no clear plan tbh - we muddled through it and threw together most of our presentation and written report. It was handly having one less exam to be honest but we didn't get a great result and it conflicted with our fyps alot. The lectures are no help whatsoever.

That said if you organise yourself you can definately do well, get high marks and bring up your overall grade average.

The subjects I chose as electives were mgmt, Info security & Business Tools which was grand and I did fairly well in - it's about software testing techniques like xp & scrum - interesting enough and did well enough in his CA.

To cut a long story short I'd strongly recommend Information System Security & Business Tools as electives - mgmt is up to you

Went to my first Security lecture today and I suppose I enjoyed it. The lecturer seems sound and it's interesting stuff. He's some man to start talking about something else though. We only went through 4 slides in 2 hours!! Still I reckon I'll do it.

As for mgmt, the thing is my friend has a project from last year which got a 1H so I'm hoping if I follow it, we can get that and have it done with. I'll see tomorrow when I have a lecture in it.

I thought Business tools was good alright.. Found the lecture entertaining so thats always a good sign.

Thanks for the advice.

Edit: About the project I have, I'm not planning on copying it but using similar methods and knowing what to do next. Just wanted to clarify.

tok9 wrote: »
    Went to my first Security lecture today and I suppose I enjoyed it. The lecturer seems sound and it's interesting stuff. He's some man to start talking about something else though. We only went through 4 slides in 2 hours!! Still I reckon I'll do it.

As for mgmt, the thing is my friend has a project from last year which got a 1H so I'm hoping if I follow it, we can get that and have it done with. I'll see tomorrow when I have a lecture in it.

I thought Business tools was good alright.. Found the lecture entertaining so thats always a good sign.

Thanks for the advice.

No worries - BOF the Security lecturer is a bit nuts alright has to be said - keep up with the topics he covers though and get notes for them - he rarely gives notes and the notes he does give are basically chapter summary slides from books - didn't find them very helpful.

The Business tools one is interesting alright. sure you can do both and mgmt can't you? If you have a project of 1h quality go for it you should do well in it especially if its the same topic as last year - Find a company that's gone through/going through a change and document how they're implementing their plans etc.

Ya I'd say I'll stick with Security and business tools anyway...

Mgmt is the only doubt.

The other modules are financial services - looks like a good bit of work. I like the lecturer but I'm not sure about the module. Plus that Civ Eng building is horrible. Seats are ridiculously uncomfortable. :D

Web apps & Business forms - Sounds good but tough

Economics- I'm very poor at.. Not sure what it's like though.

Accounting - I'd probably be good at but i'm just not that interested

tok9 wrote: »
    Ya I'd say I'll stick with Security and business tools anyway...

Mgmt is the only doubt.

The other modules are financial services - looks like a good bit of work. I like the lecturer but I'm not sure about the module. Plus that Civ Eng building is horrible. Seats are ridiculously uncomfortable. :D

Web apps & Business forms - Sounds good but tough

Economics- I'm very poor at.. Not sure what it's like though.

Accounting - I'd probably be good at but i'm just not that interested

Yeah I sucked at Accounting - the lecturer for Economics was useless - Richard something or other, can't remember now but god he was terrible! And I hate Java etc. so didn't do web apps.

If you need a hand with any notes and stuff during the year pm me anyway I still have all my projects, files and stuff - have two 1H projects for Security...I think - he normally doesn't give out the result of his second assignment so if somebody needs a bump on their summer exam he gives them a higher grade in the project *

This is just a rumour btw but I'm a firm believer seeing as the lecturers a champ :)

Thanks Paulie.. I may take you up on that offer.

After going to MG today I think I'll stick with it. I've a great idea for the project and the lecturer was pretty decent too I thought.

I'll see now about accounting tomorrow but I can't see myself changing unless it's very good

Thanks for all the help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement