Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clocks?

Options
  • 26-09-2010 1:31pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I love the clock!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

ok then

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yea would be nice to see more clocks alright. Can't help there much myself, have an old smiths bakelite mantel clock and that's my lot.
    smithsclock.jpg
    I also have a Mig fighter plane clock, based on a Jaeger LeCoultre movement. Not really a clock as such though.

mig1s.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

What do you use to power the MIG clock?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Its mechanical so I just give it an old fashioned wind. :) There is an electronic heater in it for high altitude stuff and it may have a light as well. It requires 27volt DC supply of all things. It is designed to take serious G forces and was fitted to a long list of fancy Mig(and Sukhoi) fighters over the years. Here it is in a mig 29
    airclock_mig29-cockpit.jpg
    Its got various functions. 12 hour chronograph, second timezone in lower subdial and you can stop the whole movement if you like. It runs solidly for over 12 hours and stops suddenly. Pretty accurate too. Gains/loses maybe 10/20 seconds over a wind. One theory why it was a mechanical was the Russians fear over the massive EMF radiation from possible nuclear detonations nearby, so their aircraft were heavliy protected from that and a mechanical clock wouldnt be affected by radiation of any kind(beyond magnetic), whereas a quartz/electronic clock would be fried.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement