Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endgame [Showcase - CA]

Options
  • 26-09-2010 1:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Shawn Doyle Stars in Canwest’s New Original Drama Series Endgame

* Production underway on psychological crime drama to be distributed globally outside of North America by Endemol Group

Thunderbird Films today announced start of production for Endgame, an original drama series centring on a brilliant chess master. Endgame is slated to premiere in Canada on Canwest Broadcasting’s specialty channel, Showcase in spring 2011, and will be distributed globally outside of North America by Endemol Group.

Starring Shawn Doyle (Big Love, Medium) and Torrance Coombs (The Tudors, JPod), Endgame revolves around Russian World Champion chess master Arkady Balagan (Doyle), who uses his extraordinary skills of perception and strategic thinking to solve crimes that have stumped others.

Endgame series regulars include Patrick Gallagher (Glee, True Blood), Kate Isabelle (The Good Wife, Sanctuary), Carmen Aguerre (Tin Man, Da Vinci’s Inquest) and Melanie Papilia (The Assistants, Intelligence).

Traumatized by the murder of his fiancée, Balagan has made himself a virtual prisoner in his luxury Vancouver hotel, terrified to step outside the door. To pay the bills, he begins to solve crimes and help people with problems they cannot bring to the police.

Viewers are invited inside Balagan’s mind to witness his incredible imagination, which allows him to visualize crime scenes, work through various permutations of events, communicate hypothetically with the living and the dead, and anticipate his unknown adversaries’ next move – all without leaving his hotel. Balagan seems poised to solve every case put before him – except his own.

Endgame is the brain child of Creator and Showrunner Avrum Jacobson (ReGenesis, Republic of Doyle) and will be helmed by Director/Producer David Frazee (Flashpoint, Da Vinci’s Inquest). Executive Producers on the series include Michael Shepard (Zigby, Mayerthorpe), Tim Gamble (Zixx: Level Three, In Her Mother’s Footsteps) and Harvey Kahn (Beyond Sherwood Forest, The Lost Treasure of the Grand Canyon).

Filmed on location in Vancouver, BC, Endgame is developed and produced by Thunderbird Films in association with Front Street Pictures.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

First promo trailer for Endgame: http://www.showcase.ca/endgame/

Ep. 1 is now out of Endgame, anyone seen it or opinions?....blurb says it's like Lie To Me. I'll check it out later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Ep. 1 is now out of Endgame, anyone seen it or opinions?....blurb says it's like Lie To Me. I'll check it out later.

I'm in for the 1st one, about to watch it now. I thought the mini series wasn't that bad to be honest but this has steaming pile of do do written all over it, townsend does noting to raise me expectations of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Endgame wasn't bad, but wasn't great either. Arkady is a bit like Patrick Jane from the mentalist but isn't a smug twat. Shades of Gregory House too (but drinks instead of chomping vicodin). The story wasn't strong enough, and there were 4 or 5 characters too many for my liking.

I'll watch another couple to see if it gets better.

I really liked it, the production values are much higher then Lost Girl, it had a certain style as well, namely how yer man pictures himself inside events, talking through other characters etc.

He's got a backstory, the murder of his fiance....it's obvious this will be a season long arc in the vein of Monk, it also stars Katherine Isabelle....someone i've long had my eye on. The first episode gave me more then enough to come back next week.

http://tvfeedsmyfamily.blogspot.com/2011/03/review-brilliant-start-for-doyle-on.html

Detailed synopsis for every episode, ep. 2 airs tonight:
    Episode 2 - Turkish Hold'em
    When Balagan learns that the hotel's head of security, Hugo Lum, was robbed at gunpoint during his secret high-stakes poker game, he sees an opportunity to earn a finder's fee. Wary of the crafty Russian, Hugo agrees to Balagan's terms but that means putting up with the chess master's arrogance. Balagan deduces the robber was a former hotel employee and follows his trail to the money, but was he working alone, or did the thief have a partner? With all the poker players accusing each other, Balagan uses their greed against them to get the money into the hands of a more deserving party. Balagan divides his attention between the robbery and new evidence in Rosemary's murder case that suggests he might have been the intended target in the shooting.

Episode 3 - The Caffeine Hit
    A well-dressed man wakes up on the sidewalk with no shoes, no wallet, and no memory. The only thing in his pocket is a receipt that leads him to the Huxley Hotel. Remembering nothing but how much he loves his wife, the man hires Balagan to find her and to help him rediscover his identity. While uncovering the truth of the amnesiac's complicated life, Balagan battles with Pippa over the investigation into Rosemary's murder.

Episode 4 -The Other Side Of Summer
    Swallowing his pride, Hugo asks Balagan for help. Walt, Hugo's police mentor, is retiring, but one unsolved case still haunts him. Twenty years ago, a teen girl disappeared and Walt is convinced her ex-boyfriend, Stephen, killed her. But because the girl's body was never found, Walt could never charge Stephen. Now with Balagan's help, Hugo hopes to find the one piece of evidence that will put Stephen behind bars before Walt takes matters into his own hands. Pippa comes to Balagan with some startling news in Rosemary's case: the police have finally arrested a suspect.

Episode 5 - I Killed Her
    Balagan's on edge when the hotel hosts the International Psychiatric Conference and every shrink is vying to "cure" his agoraphobia. But Balagan can't avoid the psychiatrists forever. When a woman's body is found in the hotel pool, the police arrest the most likely suspect. However, the strange Dr Grey confesses to Balagan that he, in fact, killed her. Dr Grey offers to treat Balagan in exchange for clues to help Balagan prove he did it. Through this eerie game, Balagan must uncover the truth in time to stop Dr Grey from killing again - this time closer to home.

Episode 6 - Fearful Symmetry
    When an innocent family's car explodes in front of their east side house, the parents seek Balagan's help to find out why they were targeted. Balagan identifies with their son, Colin, a teen too afraid to leave his house since the bombing. With Danni, Sam, and Alcina's help, Balagan discovers the family is keeping a few secrets. But Balagan is distracted by the arrival of reigning world chess champion, 16 year old, Jonas Etkin. And while Balagan plays an off the record match with Jonas, a second car bomb explodes at the same address on the west side of town. Balagan must use chess strategy to find the connection between the two addresses and stop the bombers before someone gets killed. Meanwhile, Pippa struggles with what she learns from Rosemary's autopsy report.

Episode 7 - Gorillas In Our Midst
    When Jia, a Chinese cryptologist, and her friend, Sophie, a journalist, come to Balagan for help in finding Jia's missing suitcase, he declines, bored by lost luggage. But Sam, who has fallen head over heels for Jia, convinces him to take the puzzle. Balagan deduces that Sophie has a scoop and Jia is her anonymous source. If Jia doesn't get her suitcase back before she's discovered as a whistle-blower, her life will be in danger. While Sam and Jia spark a romance, Balagan resists Sophie's advances, the pain of losing Rosemary still too fresh. Just as Balagan thinks he has retrieved Jia's suitcase, he realizes there are more players in the game than at first he thought.

Episode 8 - Unknown Title
    At the threat of being thrown out of the hotel, Balagan is forced to help Vivian Huxley, heiress of the Huxley hotel chain, find her missing son, Kitch. It turns out Kitch's parents don't know him as well as they think - nor does he know them as well as he thinks. With the clock ticking, Balagan discovers more than just the whereabouts of Kitch: he uncovers a far more interesting puzzle of past affairs and infidelities.

Episode 9 - Huxley, We Have A Problem
    When Balagan's oldest friend, the larger than life Russian cosmonaut Oleg Olesky, comes to the Huxley, he brings more than the party. About to pilot the first private space tourism rocket ship, Oleg is there with Chase Galactic as they announce their maiden launch. When the head engineer, Randall, falls from the roof of the hotel, Oleg is the prime suspect. With his only alibi being the fact he was with his boss's wife, which she denies, Oleg pleads for Balagan's help. Balagan eventually figures out the true motive for Randall's murder - and the real murderer.

Episode 10 - Bless This Union
    As a negotiation ploy, the Huxley locks its workers out. But the plan goes awry when the hotel vault is robbed. Balagan loses Rosemary's engagement ring and a lavish Indian wedding celebration is ruined. Discovering the video surveillance in the hotel had been tampered with, allowing the thieves a 15-minute window to get in and out, Hugo is convinced it was a team of professionals. Balagan systematically eliminates suspects while gaining clues as to the true thief's identity. The resulting conclusion seems impossible - until Balagan figures out the final piece of the puzzle.

Episode 11 - Unknown Title
    A seemingly normal day for Balagan quickly turns deadly. After logging into an internet chess game, he discovers his opponent, "Mr Black", has taken hostages and will kill one for every game Balagan loses. When the police try to intervene, Balagan's clock runs out - with disastrous results. Balagan realizes he will have to work alone. He figures out who his mysterious opponent is, where he lives, and why he is doing this. Turns out, Mr Black is not mad. He has a reason and a purpose for doing what he is doing. So, now, how to stop him?

Episode 12 - Polar Opposites
    When a rock star moves into the next hotel suite, Balagan has more to cope with than loud music and obnoxious behaviour . Deacon, the Demon Spawn, hires Balagan to find two hundred thousand dollars stolen from him. Balagan uncovers a strange story of a midnight robbery, a kidnapped grandmother, an estranged husband, an ancient debt, and a missing polar bear. Balagan calls in his IOU with Hugo and manages to convince everyone they have what they want.

Episode 13 - Deadman Talking
    A hotel security guard dies under mysterious circumstances. Was it an accident or was it murder? When Balagan tries to figure out who would want to kill the guard, he discovers there is much more to the seemingly simple hotel employee than anyone could have imagined. Meanwhile, Pippa is convinced she knows who killed her sister, Rosemary - it was a powerful lawyer named Sebastian Wilks. Wilks decides to put an end to her investigations - by introducing Balagan to his worst nightmare.

XIII stuff split away to a separate thread.

Ep. 2 was actually shot as the original pilot, but i think last weeks ep. was stronger. The story wasn't the strongest but Balagan sells it, he's charasmatic and an interesting character. He uses the hotel staff to good effect, each one bringing their own quality and skill to help him solve each case.

They are obviously gonna explore and build on the overall murder arc each week to find who killed Arkady's fiance. It's a slow burn but again ep. 2 gave me enough to tune in next week, and with the network season ending fairly soon it'll fill a Monday viewing void in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Seen the first episode and liked it alot,Ill keep with it anyhow.

Ep. 3 guest starred Michael Shanks, i actually really enjoyed that ep. - i read reports it was bad but i personally enjoyed it. I like certain elements of the premise, hoe Balagan imagines himself outside the hotel, speaking from the characters POV, imagining scenarios or how events play out.

It's a plot device that allows him to leave the hotel without physically leaving, we're getting bits 'n bobs of the series arc with his fiance. Certain elements of the show while not unique are a bit different and done with a sliver of style.

My guess is this'll be one series and done, i'm not saying it's great or even good, it's watchable enough with it having just enough and just enough humour to keep my interest.

Best episode of the season!....brilliant serial killer story, it was riveting from start to finish, lots of twists. Lots of insight as well into Arkady + the killer/impersonator made an interesting deduction that maybe the shooters weren't after Arkady but in fact were actually targeting his finance all along!

Must admit to really liking this series, it's much better then i anticipated, i like most of the characters. But i do think they need to inject more of the overall arc and get it moving!, little nuggets here and there ain't enough!

Anyone still watching?....i've seen all 8 thus far and i must say i'm really enjoying it!....it's light and fun mixed with a season long story arc. It's not amazing but it's quirky in it's setup. Shawn Doyle plays Arkady extremely well, very charasmatic actor.

The supporting cast are just that, they don't add too much but they get the job done, Arkady has his scooby gang that does his legwork inside the hotel and Sam working outside, Pippa then turns up briefly each ep. to keep the season arc going, but that aspect is my central complaint.

They have this ongoing story of who killed Arkady's finance in a drive-by outside the hotel, but they devote tiny snippets to this each ep. - very annoying, they have something if they'd just expand on this. Each week Arkady gets a people puzzle to solve, which usually gets him cash or this week six months free room and board comped.

I'll definately see it through, it's my fave Showcase show outside of Lost Girl, i'm not keen at all on XIII and i gave up on King after the pilot, King is pure cop proceadural and has nothing of interest.

I'm not sure Endgame will get renewed as the ratings have been very week through it's run. By all accounts Lost Girl has been the ratings winner.

Oh!....Arkady and Dani sharing some touchy/feely chemistry!....ep. 10 was OK, not the best story, robbery at the hotel, though i liked how the female robber never said a word and just emoted everything in Arkadys dream/flashbacks.

Once again next to nothing on the main arc, but next week looks like a total CRACKER!!!!!!

Fate of Endgame decided next week at the upfronts:

Shaw Media which owns Canadian network Global and cable channel Showcase amongst others will hold its upfront presentation next week, the fate of shows such as Endgame, King and XII : The Series could be revealed. New shows will include Bomb Girls by Michael MacLennan (Queer As Folk, Being Erica) about World War II women at work in a munitions (bomb) factory.

http://www.shawmedia.com/

No sign of episode 11 for some reason.

Cancelled!....not on the Shaw Media upfronts, King got renewed for season 2. XIII appears to be cancelled as well.

This looks interesting!

World Without End
    World Without End is based on Ken Follett's multi-million bestseller of the same name and will air on Showcase in 2012. Budgeted at US$43 million, this eight-hour special event is a Canadian/German production with Tandem Communications and Canada's Take Five Productions in association with Ridley Scott and Tony Scott´s SCOTT FREE FILMS. Principal

Taken from: SpoilerTV http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/05/shaw-media-plans-to-premiere-15-new.html#ixzz1NwxUFxRX

Series finale tonight, not season...series ergo cancelled. Pah!...i bet we'll never find out who killed Arkady's fiance or see him leave the hotel, grrrr!
    No matter what, i enjoyed this show.

Was there any closure at the end, Richard?
    I've only watched one episode, but might watch it all if it's pretty self contained.

• Advertisement

^ sadly not....just literally finished watching it, very good though!...very funny ep. - but as for the main arc, nope...Balagan was kidnapped out of the hotel by a big bad....but it turns out he was just hired help, contracted to kill Rosemary....then further to that the guy who hired Mr. Hitman got killed himself.

No resolution, frustrating ending indeed....but very good in the sense that it made you want to see more + setup a second season, that we'll never see. I'll snoop and if Avrum Jacabson (show creator) posts any info about what he might have planned etc.

Shawn Doyle was very consistent, excellent i must say....totally belivable as this Russian chess genius with agrophobia solving little mysteries at the Huxley hotel to pay bills + the thrill of a good puzzle.

I like Endgame alot, it was quirky and funny, had some rather original elements but alas the viewers didn't tune in.

http://communities.canada.com/shareit/blogs/tvguy/archive/2011/06/09/has-endgame-reached-the-end-of-the-road-not-if-show-s-fans-have-anything-to-say-about-it.aspx

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Fans+fight+Endgame/4924349/story.html

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5geplP2I0vRcq0H1cs6SVkFMrfKnw?docId=7102386

http://thetelevixen.com/2011/06/endgame-comes-to-a-close/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Started watching the first ep and then noticed it's cancelled. Don't think I'll bother unless you think it's really worth it?

:D = PLEASE LET THIS BE TRUE!!!!!

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/08/endgame-cancelled-series-may-get.html

Endgame uncancelled?....would be brill if it cme through, i ended up really liking the show + a cliffhanger worthy of a second season, i really wanted to find out who killed Arkady's finace!!

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/08/endgame-cancelled-series-may-get.html

Showcase is reconsidering canceling Endgame and financial negotiations are taking place to resurrect it.
    Endgame was cancelled in May but ratings rose after cancellation and it was nominated for best drama series in the Gemini Awards and there were fan campaigns to bring it back.

Keep hearing about the show possibly getting uncancelled....another new article, show has Hulu success: http://www.tvfeedsmyfamily.blogspot.com/2012/02/more-moves-ahead-for-hulu-hit-endgame.html

Advertisement