Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chiffcaff (was - ID please (again!))

Options
  • 26-09-2010 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

This little bird arrives in my garden from time to time, he is very small and slender compared to say a sparrow. Pointy little bill and a lovely soft buff yellowy colour. I am thinking warbler but cant identify it from my bird book.

mix-9.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭1squidge

Looks like a chiffchaff to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

1squide correct it's a chiffchaff.
    Darkish legs rule out willow warbler and rarer wood warbler. Also the primary projections are shortish.
    Nice photo:)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Ah thanks very much, its good to know what you are looking at!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

I have a Chiffchaff visit my garden often, do they migrate for the winter or do they stay in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Great photo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Bsal wrote: »
    I have a Chiffchaff visit my garden often, do they migrate for the winter or do they stay in Ireland?

They generally arrive in late March and depart in August and September. An odd one may be present all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

As Srameen pointed out most do depart our shores around now but some do stick about all year. I actually had two of them in my place on Christmas Eve last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

I hope my ones stay but I fear they have left, haven't seen them in a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Increasingly they are wintering in the south of the country...

Advertisement